You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

American To Upgrade Pilots Before Customers

All about Airlines and Airliners.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 01 Sep 23, 10:26Post
American Airlines pilots have ratified a new four-year contract offering an incremental $9.6-billion in added value over its term. While the agreement provides pilots higher pay and extensive quality-of-life improvements, American customers seeking upgrades are apt to be left wondering why their loyalty and dollars were summarily deemed secondary to the whims of the airline’s employees.

Link

Just another sad sign of the times.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 05 Sep 23, 12:37Post
The shutdowns, bailouts, etc., have led to a bizarre and abnormal marketplace. The concessions that the pilots have gotten are crazy. I'm not sure if they'll be sustainable.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 08 Sep 23, 00:37Post
Airline loyalty is garbage anymore.

The mileage over the years on AS, AA, US, HP, CO, DL LH and on and on just don't mean a damn thing anymore.

I will buy the cheapest F seat to where ever I need to go from now on.

Mrs. ANC still has her DL Magic Amex Ultra Lounge get free shet09hvit card, and when it expires, it's done too . . . .
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 09 Sep 23, 15:58Post
I agree with the article in that this isn't a good image for the airline. The flying public doesn't know, or even care, about the intricacies of flight crew life nor the difference between deadheading and commuting. All they'll see is a "freeloader" in "their" seat. Perception shapes reality.

Airline management have historically been expert marksmen when it comes to shooting themselves in the foot. If deadheading weren't such a necessary evil and if econ seats weren't essentially torture devices, this wouldn't be necessary.
Make Orwell fiction again.
DXing 10 Sep 23, 14:17Post
They are actually behind the times or the article fails to mention that they had that benefit before. From the article:

"American isn’t the first major U.S. airline to adopt such a policy. Pilots in the employ of United Airlines, in late 2020, secured a similar agreement."

UA pilots had that before 2020, and CO pilots had the same agreement. A deadheading pilot was always upgraded before customers. Believe me, I asked after the first time I got bumped.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
captoveur 11 Sep 23, 17:19Post
Every loyalty promise I have ever been made by an airline becomes absolutely meaningless the second it makes things just a little easier for them.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
PA110 (Founding Member) 09 Oct 23, 16:07Post
Loyalty programs ceased being about loyalty when they removed the "frequent flyer" component in favor of affinity accruals. Now it's all about whichever activities generate the most ancillary revenue, whether that's actually flying with the airline (least likely) or maxing out your airline-affiliated credit card (most likely).
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.