You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Integral Airstairs

All about Airlines and Airliners.

ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 31 Jul 23, 11:11Post
Integral Airstairs, the likes of those on a the old 737-200s. Not the rear airstairs in the DC-9 series or the 727 series.

Who still has those?

Ryan Scare apparently, as I saw a video of that this morning which prompted this post.

FB Link: https://www.facebook.com/reel/305358895234411

Obviously eaches out there in the 4th world flying world. Curiosity.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 31 Jul 23, 11:48Post
Ryanair still uses them as it is cheaper, there is no jetway charge. I see it in LIS all the time.

It is an option on the B737, standard on the DC-9s/MD-80/MD-90.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 31 Jul 23, 12:27Post
miamiair wrote:Ryanair still uses them as it is cheaper, there is no jetway charge. I see it in LIS all the time.

It is an option on the B737, standard on the DC-9s/MD-80/MD-90.

There are at least two 747-200s fitted with them as well. So the PotUS won't fall on his ass.

What about other carriers? Just curious.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 01 Aug 23, 03:08Post
At least one of the Janet -600s is equipped with them.

hqdefault.jpeg
hqdefault.jpeg (33.75 KiB) Viewed 1360 times

Other than the attached photo, the only other photos I found of their aircraft on the ramp are at LAS with traditional airstairs attached. Satellite imagery of the aircraft at XTA appear to show traditional airstairs as well.

The Navy C-40As are equipped with them. As are the USAF -40B/Cs.

Not sure if you'd count factory-built BBJs, but integral airstairs would have to be a standard feature.
Make Orwell fiction again.
airtrainer 05 Aug 23, 22:02Post
ShyFlyer wrote:Not sure if you'd count factory-built BBJs, but integral airstairs would have to be a standard feature.

I remember visiting the LH Technik facility in HAM and our guide explained
that they were doing maintenance on a private 744 that had a lift installed in it as the Prince who owned the plane could not use stairs.
New airlines, new routes, new countries... back in the air
paul mcallister 10 Aug 23, 16:17Post
Easyjet had them back in the B737 days, but stopped using them after several accidents to pax and crew.