You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Size Comparisons

All about Airlines and Airliners.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 22 Feb 23, 12:01Post
Just a few images to illustrate the size of some aircraft components:

First is a B747-8 Thrust Reverser and a Thrust Reverser for a B737-300/-400/-500 (CFM56-3)

Second is an A320 Inlet for a CFM56-5B and a B747-8 Inlet for a GEnX.
Attachments
20230214_061953.jpg
20230214_061953.jpg (619.68 KiB) Viewed 568 times
20230207_045653.jpg
20230207_045653.jpg (649.03 KiB) Viewed 568 times
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 22 Feb 23, 18:39Post
That is awesome. You have an incredible career.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Feb 23, 19:26Post
Very cool!

The 748 inlet would make a great hot-tub.
A million great ideas...
DXing 23 Feb 23, 22:28Post
JLAmber wrote:Very cool!

The 748 inlet would make a great hot-tub.

Now there's an idea! For giggles, wonder what a -400 inlet from a boneyard would cost?
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 23 Feb 23, 23:34Post
Lucas wrote:You have an incredible career.

{thumbsup}

It's always amazing to me that we think we know how big these things are...then we actually see them "face to face." An E175 seems "small" until you have to park one. Felt similar about the Praetor too.

At the opposite end of the scale is the likes of the VisionJet or the Eclipse. You wonder just how it's possible for people to fit in those things.
Make Orwell fiction again.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 24 Feb 23, 10:12Post
DXing wrote:Now there's an idea! For giggles, wonder what a -400 inlet from a boneyard would cost?

The -400s have three engine types, RB.211, GE CF6-80C and PW4062, which are also interchangeable with the same powerplants on the 767s. In as removed condition, you can get one for about $5-6K. I have two unserviceable units you can have, but you gotta come and get them.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
DXing 24 Feb 23, 12:57Post
ShyFlyer wrote:It's always amazing to me that we think we know how big these things are...then we actually see them "face to face." An E175 seems "small" until you have to park one. Felt similar about the Praetor too.

At the opposite end of the scale is the likes of the VisionJet or the Eclipse. You wonder just how it's possible for people to fit in those things.

Agreed. My memories on the ramp in that vein are of fueling an MD80 while just standing on the ground, no ladder needed. Moving to a 737-900 and having to use a regular ladder, later to an ATR42 and having to use a stand ladder to attach the fueling hose on the bottom of the wing (the designer should be flogged), to last plane of the evening, a 747 where I needed to use the lift truck to reach the fueling panel.

Pushing back a 757-300 and really having to think my turns due to the length of the plane. Being under the nose of a 747 while pushing it back vs an EMB145 where I was always in eye contact with the crew.

miamiair wrote:
DXing wrote:Now there's an idea! For giggles, wonder what a -400 inlet from a boneyard would cost?

The -400s have three engine types, RB.211, GE CF6-80C and PW4062, which are also interchangeable with the same powerplants on the 767s. In as removed condition, you can get one for about $5-6K. I have two unserviceable units you can have, but you gotta come and get them.

Could it be stood up on end and make it under most highway bridges? The hard part isn't the price, it's convincing the wife.....I wonder if this isn't a case of better to ask forgiveness rather than permission....? :))
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 24 Feb 23, 15:14Post
Just tell her it fell off while flying overhead. :))
Make Orwell fiction again.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 24 Feb 23, 17:34Post
DXing wrote:ATR42 [...] (the designer should be flogged)

Not gonna hear any disagreement from me...
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.