You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Southworst Meltdown post Christmas

All about Airlines and Airliners.

ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 27 Dec 22, 13:51Post
https://simpleflying.com/southwest-airl ... down-2022/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/s ... b01cbfd4a3

So, last couple days I watched Southwest (and other airlines) battle weather, passenger loads, broken aircraft, all that is a mess for airlines.

This morning (12/27/2022) 3800 flights cancelled . . . . . most by WN. Now, I make no bones about NOT flying WN, have done it once, and only, from BWI to SDF (I didn't book the flights and was rather hamstrung into that ride). That was in 1996/7??? The 737 still had "club seating" for the first row.

Now I know some folk that swear by 'em, so I have to question their conscious thought process (or total lack thereof) that fails to realize WN doesn't partner with anyone, and if the cancel you're at their mercy.

Rant Off. Needless to say, there is NOT a WN flight in my future, at any time. I'd rather walk.

So what say you? Not only are THOUSANDS of passengers displaced and screwed, hundreds of crew are as well. "Pilots landing at airports with no hotels and no flights home". That was in the news, right out of the mouth of some WN suit-wearing pogue. . . . .

What is it with WN and it's loyal followers? What keeps them going back over and over?
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
halls120 (Plank Owner) 27 Dec 22, 15:35Post
It's simple - Southwest's point to point network is far more affected by bad weather than the hub and spoke system used by most of the competition. Add to this is their refusal to interline with other airlines.

At one point there was a report that 100 DEN rampers quit/refused to report to work, and Southwest turned planes around that were already halfway to DEN.

When your cancellation rate is 66% for three straight days and DL's is 9% and UA's 5%, you can't blame the weather.

As for their loyal followers, I'd say it must be the Stockholm Syndrome. :))
At home in the PNW and loving it
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 27 Dec 22, 16:54Post
^^^^^^^^^

Yup, what he said.

Even AS with a crapshoot that was (maybe still is SEA) didn't have this kind of crap.

Oh, and while I'm at it, if you book on F9 or NK, you're just as foolish. . . . NK had a 320 catch fire with my in-laws aboard couple years ago . . . . I may have made a post about that here.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 27 Dec 22, 23:00Post
I've flown WN many times between ABQ and DEN. I've had very few issues, save for a couple of incidents: one where the inbound aircraft was delayed earlier in the day. It originated in Florida (MCO I think) and was to make stops in BNA and STL before DEN. The delay in Florida was due to storms as well as BNA. No delay in STL but it was well behind schedule by that point anyway.

The other time was when my ABQ-DEN flight was delayed then cancelled due to a lack of de-ice fluid (so we were told). The flight was eventually reinstated.

I'm no WN loyalist but I've been treated better by them than any other carrier (looking at you DL). But I won't fly them on flights over 1.5hrs.

TWU blames "outdated technology" for it's inability to deal with weather snafus.
https://kdvr.com/news/local/southwest-f ... y-failure/

Given that WN likes to hold on to the old ways* of doing things, I think it's institutional issues at the...heart...of the problem.

*Their NGs had autothrottles and VNAV disabled because those features weren't present on the -300 & -500s (because of the -200). WN is also the reason the NG cockpit displays had an option to replicate an EFIS-style set up.

I believe it was the pilot's union that finally forced WNs hand and got those features implemented.
Make Orwell fiction again.
paul mcallister 28 Dec 22, 12:15Post
Would I be correct in thinking South Western are the Ryanair of the US ?
Or something similar ? Contempt for their customers and their staff?

My needs on a flight are not demanding at all, I want a comfortable seat, flight on time, or within reason. I don`t want to be flying in a creche full of wailing banshee children/ babies ( they should go in the hold ).
I want a window seat so I don`t get bashed by the trolley, or other pax with tiny bladders.
But most of all, I don`t want to be in a confined space for any length of time with drunken yobs, stag/ hen parties or other neanderthal types that should not be allowed on public transport, much less an aircraft.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 28 Dec 22, 16:48Post
paul mcallister wrote:Would I be correct in thinking South Western are the Ryanair of the US ?

My needs on a flight are not demanding at all, I want a comfortable seat, flight on time, or within reason. I don`t want to be flying in a creche full of wailing banshee children/ babies ( they should go in the hold ).
I want a window seat so I don`t get bashed by the trolley, or other pax with tiny bladders.
But most of all, I don`t want to be in a confined space for any length of time with drunken yobs, stag/ hen parties or other neanderthal types that should not be allowed on public transport, much less an aircraft.

Paul, I think WN (Southwest - not South Western) is about 30 years behind Ryanair.

As for needs on a flight, I get it, you're going from LON to Germany, 2 hours max. Well in the US, I'm routinely making 4-5-6-7 hours jumps. That seat better more than comfortable. ANC-HNL is 5+ hours block time on an AS 737. ORD-ANC is a 7 hour block time on any carrier. As the US Carriers continue to dumb down their cabins, all of them, Y, C, and F . . . US flagged carriers will fall further into the abyss.

Give me an F seat on UA, AA, HA or DL any day of the week. If I'm going OCONUS I will not be on a US Flagged carrier.

But back to topic - WN today, 12/28/22, is still crapped the bed. I saw ONE leave MCO about 45 minutes ago. Haven't checked FLightAware, that's my next stop.

Piss on WN.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
halls120 (Plank Owner) 28 Dec 22, 18:33Post
What's the difference between COVID and Southwest?

COVID is airborne.
halls120 (Plank Owner) 28 Dec 22, 18:37Post
Saw this elsewhere.

It seems like they could have just stopped all passenger carriage yesterday, figured out who and which planes need to be where for today, and then just run ferry flights yesterday to make the rearrangement, starting again today as if it were just a normal day. But I suppose when your ops center IT is an abacus and hand-cranked phone, that process takes a few days.
DXing 28 Dec 22, 22:37Post
paul mcallister wrote:Would I be correct in thinking South Western are the Ryanair of the US ?

No, not really. Their flight crews can be some of the funniest and most entertaining of any airline. Their CSR staff are professional, and I've never run into one that was overtly hostile. That being said, everyone has a bad day. The senior leadership and management have severely let them down in this event. The airline received somewhere north of 7 billion dollars in pandemic relief funds, evidently very little went to upgrading their IT infrastructure. One thing I don't agree with and would stand up and say something about even if I was one of those stranded, is getting in the face of the gate agents and screaming obscenities and threats at them, it's certainly not their fault. I'd be honor bound to tell the offender to lighten up or shut up. Probably end up in airport jail.

ShyFlyer wrote:
TWU blames "outdated technology" for it's inability to deal with weather snafus.
https://kdvr.com/news/local/southwest-f ... y-failure/

That's the heart of the problem right there. As of today, flight attendants and pilots are posting screen shots of holding times of 4 and 5 hours or more trying to get ahold of scheduling to just find out where they should go or be. The hotel desk is allegedly in the same boat leading to crews sleeping on the concourse if there isn't a crew lounge available.

ShyFlyer wrote:*Their NGs had autothrottles and VNAV disabled because those features weren't present on the -300 & -500s (because of the -200). WN is also the reason the NG cockpit displays had an option to replicate an EFIS-style set up.

I believe it was the pilot's union that finally forced WNs hand and got those features implemented.

That's true. As late as 1999 they were still reporting on/off on/in times via the local ops frequencies which were then entered into the system computer.

ANCFlyer wrote:
Even AS with a crapshoot that was (maybe still is SEA) didn't have this kind of crap.

Yeah they did. Friends daughter and boyfriend were due to leave GEG on Thursday morning. Plane went tech due to frozen plumbing caused by low temps of the brewing storm. Evidently nobody was given OT or there was no overnight person and the aircart died sometime during the night so the plane lost heat. Finally into SEA at noon, they had missed the direct flight to CLE so there's a day lost. Topping things, somebody must have told the ground crew in GEG that the flight was actually cancelled because all the bags had been downloaded there. The next day Friday, the direct flight to CLE was cancelled. Can't really blame that all on Alaska, SETAC was having a lot of problems, as was PDX, PAE, and BFI in keeping the FICONS above "poor" due to ice on the runways. Still no luggage from GEG. Saturday, ditto, flight canceled no reason given. Sunday, ditto, flight canceled no alternative routing available due no seats available. Monday they rented a car and drove back to GEG, picked up their luggage at the airport (those had apparently never left GEG), and went home. According to them, SEA was a zoo, they were made several promises on rebooking, all fell through.

halls120 wrote:It's simple - Southwest's point to point network is far more affected by bad weather than the hub and spoke system used by most of the competition. Add to this is their refusal to interline with other airlines.

Not so sure about that. The point to point system isn't necessarily that bad. It can be from a MX standpoint but from a scheduling standpoint it should not present that big a problem and may even help in IROPS. If a focus city or hub goes down for whatever reason an aircraft can be rerouted from a B point if the C leg is cancelled and sent wherever you want it to be. Fewer planes get trapped or significantly delayed due to the hub or focus city having a real problem.

Southwest's problem seems to have stemmed from trying to run 100% of their flight schedule when it became readily apparent that this was a massive storm that was going to affect the entire country, not just a few select airports. Once things started to back up, the network management was simply not quick enough, or wasn't authorized, to start whacking flights to keep things under control. Once their outdated IT systems hit their capacity limits, there was nothing left to do but watch them crash. To be sure, all of the major airlines faced the same problems but it's apparent they learned from previous scheduling IT meltdowns over the years and reacted more quickly and that their IT systems are more modern, robust, and resilient. Furthermore, according to the pilot's union rep, Southwest management was repeatedly warned by several of the work groups that they were running on a razor's edge, and it was only a matter of time before a major storm, or some other similar disruption would cause just this type of event for the company. Seems they were more forward thinking than senior management.

It'll be interesting to see how the public reacts to Southwest's failure. Simple apologies aren't going to get it. If I had been a customer, I'd be looking for reimbursement of any hotel, food, and rental car costs, as well as some generic relief for incidentals.

From an investor standpoint, I can't see their stock not taking a hit, at least in the short term.

From a regulatory standpoint, this is a congressman's dream, getting an airline CEO on the hotseat for a good old-fashioned grilling. Let's not forget our Transportation Secretary, he's going to get his pound of flesh out of this as well. Between this and the infrastructure bill, if this guy has a single brain cell, he's buying all the power and storing up all the favors he can for 2024.

As of late today Southwest has said they plan to scale back their flying schedule to 1/3rd of normal for the next few days to try and get back to some sense of normalcy but that it was looking as if next week would be the earliest they could resume normal operations. If they are smart they will look at a smaller flying schedule going forward to give themselves some breathing room when things go bad. At least until they upgrade their scheduling software for crews, and aircraft. They also need to come up with a better decision-making tree on when to start cancelling flights.

Lastly, just a couple of things, I wonder if there is any possibility that there was a pilot on his retirment flight, that got stuck on his outbound leg, only to turn 65 while stuck, and then be unable to return home in the left seat? Also, where's the meme' of Southwest's CEO staring a computer screen says, "Need to get away?"
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
paul mcallister 28 Dec 22, 23:53Post
DXing wrote:

No, not really. Their flight crews can be some of the funniest and most entertaining of any airline. Their CSR staff are professional, and I've never run into one that was overtly hostile. That being said, everyone has a bad day. The senior leadership and management have severely let them down in this event. The airline received somewhere north of 7 billion dollars in pandemic relief funds, evidently very little went to upgrading their IT infrastructure. One thing I don't agree with and would stand up and say something about even if I was one of those stranded, is getting in the face of the gate agents and screaming obscenities and threats at them, it's certainly not their fault. I'd be honor bound to tell the offender to lighten up or shut up. Probably end up in airport jail.

[quote="ShyFlyer"]

We have flights of 7hrs plus in Europe as well, it doesn`t matter if your flight is 30mins or 6hrs+, being stuck in a horrible environment is not my idea of a fun time.It can make or break a holiday if you have to travel with the great unwashed. who want nothing more than to cause mayhem on board, and quite often that is the sort of passenger Ryanair attract -- knuckle trailers.

Just to clarify a point- I did not mean that the Ryanair staff view the customers with contempt, it`s the senior management of the company.
They treat their staff just as badly, pilots and cabin crew have to book and pay for accom themselves and claim it back later, often with months of delay.
Ryanair are also well known for refusing to pay compensation for delayed or canceled flights, despite being ordered to do so by European courts.

O`Leary and his croanies are vile.
halls120 (Plank Owner) 29 Dec 22, 21:01Post
DXing wrote:Southwest's problem seems to have stemmed from trying to run 100% of their flight schedule when it became readily apparent that this was a massive storm that was going to affect the entire country, not just a few select airports. Once things started to back up, the network management was simply not quick enough, or wasn't authorized, to start whacking flights to keep things under control. Once their outdated IT systems hit their capacity limits, there was nothing left to do but watch them crash. To be sure, all of the major airlines faced the same problems but it's apparent they learned from previous scheduling IT meltdowns over the years and reacted more quickly and that their IT systems are more modern, robust, and resilient. Furthermore, according to the pilot's union rep, Southwest management was repeatedly warned by several of the work groups that they were running on a razor's edge, and it was only a matter of time before a major storm, or some other similar disruption would cause just this type of event for the company. Seems they were more forward thinking than senior management.

Watching this over the bast few days, I agree that bad management and poor IT infrastructure drove their collapse more than their route structure. I find it inconceivable in this day and age that Southwest doesn't have more automation in place. They depend on reaching their crews by telephone? My brother has SW pilot friends, and they told him that they were on hold for hours, and when they did reach operations - at one point telling them they had legal pilots and FA's ready to fly - they were unable to authorize the flight.

The fact that they have cancelled thousands of flights today, and plan to do the same tomorrow, demonstrates why their reset should reach farther than flight operations.
halls120 (Plank Owner) 29 Dec 22, 21:10Post
Here is more from a Southwest pilot

The frontline employees were ready and on station. We were properly staffed. We were at the airports. Hell, we were ON the airplanes. But our antiquated software systems failed coupled with a decades old system of having to manage 20,000 frontline employees by phone calls. No automation had been developed to run this sophisticated machine.
We had a routine winter storm across the Midwest last Thursday. A larger than normal number flights were cancelled as a result. But what should have been one minor inconvenient day of travel turned into this nightmare. After all, American, United, Delta and the other airlines operated with only minor flight disruptions.
The two decades of neglect by SWA leadership caused the airline to lose track of all its crews. ALL of us. We were there. With our customers. At the jet. Ready to go. But there was no way to assign us. To confirm us. To release us to fly the flight. And we watched as our customers got stranded without their luggage missing their Christmas holiday.
I believe that our new CEO Bob Jordan inherited a MESS. This meltdown was not his failure but the failure of those before him. I believe he has the right priorities. But it will take time to right this ship. A few years at a minimum. Old leaders need to be replaced. Operationally oriented managers need to be brought in. I hope and pray Bob can execute on his promises to fix our once proud airline. Time will tell.
It’s been a punch in the gut for us frontline employees. We care for the traveling public. We have spent our entire careers serving you. Safely. Efficiently. With luv and pride. We are horrified. We are sorry. We are sorry for the chaos, inconvenience and frustration our airline caused you. We are angry. We are embarrassed. We are sad. Like you, the traveling public, we have been let down by our own leaders.
Herb once said the the biggest threat to Southwest Airlines will come from within. Not from other airlines. What a visionary he was. I miss Herb now more than ever.
https://viewfromthewing.com/a-top-airline-executive-explains-the-southwest-airlines-meltdown/#:~:text=What%20happened%20to,more%20than%20ever
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 30 Dec 22, 01:55Post
It's almost as if accountants shouldn't be in charge...or something.
Make Orwell fiction again.
captoveur 06 Jan 23, 17:28Post
Save a few bucks a year on not maintaining the computer systems that run the entire company... Lose millions when your shortsightedness finally catches you.

I see this same scenario play out at a lot of companies across just about every industry year after year after year. No one ever learns.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 08 Jan 23, 21:19Post
ShyFlyer wrote:It's almost as if accountants shouldn't be in charge...or something.

It's almost as if we may know someone who is sat in their apartment in a fluffy pair of slippers chuckling to themselves about all of this...
A million great ideas...