You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Turbulence injures 36 on Hawaiian

All about Airlines and Airliners.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 19 Dec 22, 09:08Post
At least 36 people have been injured, 11 seriously, after a Hawaiian Airlines flight from Phoenix to Honolulu was hit by severe turbulence.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64024021

The picture is of the right airline, and is an Airbus. I'm impressed.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 Dec 22, 12:46Post
Seatbelts people! It's not like they don't put a big sign up or make announcement.

A 14 month old baby bouncing about in that can't have been fun (or maybe it was, wee! again!).
A million great ideas...
Mark 19 Dec 22, 17:28Post
Seatbelts! Seatbelts! Seatbelts!

I had my come-to-Jesus seatbelt moment in 1994 while approaching IAH in a CO B742 on a hot convective day. A few miles from the airport, the aircraft suddenly dropped 100 feet. I was strapped in, but the FA and the beverage cart next to me hit the ceiling. He hurt his back and, thankfully, the cart landed in an open area near the mid-ship galley. Turns out, 13 people were injured, which delayed our deplaning.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 Dec 22, 19:14Post
Must agree.

Seatbelts, seatbelts, seatbelts. We wear 'em (supposedly) when driving (I do, cause I'm not stupid). Wear them.

Landing in HNL from GUM 20 years ago on a CO DC-10. Pretty rough ride. Overhead bins popping open, O2 masks falling from the ceiling, everything not strapped down went for a ride, including most of the galley accoutrements airborne.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
DXing 19 Dec 22, 20:15Post
I like how the story says the "turbulence hit the airplane". As though it was lurking about just waiting for a target of opportunity!!

The investigation will center on weather conditions along the route of flight. Did any other aircraft report moderate or severe turbulence. Did the dispatcher relay any preps for turbulence up to the crew? How wide a berth did the pilots give the thunderstorms in the area and to what side? Upwind of the thunderstorm does not require nearly the space that downwind or even laterally does. In 15 years of dispatching I've been lucky to never have been involved in a severe turbulence incident or accident
I'm particularly vigilant and will over report preps for moderate or greater turbulence to the crews I deal with.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 Dec 22, 21:25Post
DXing wrote:I like how the story says the "turbulence hit the airplane". As though it was lurking about just waiting for a target of opportunity!!

The investigation will center on weather conditions along the route of flight. Did any other aircraft report moderate or severe turbulence. Did the dispatcher relay any preps for turbulence up to the crew? How wide a berth did the pilots give the thunderstorms in the area and to what side? Upwind of the thunderstorm does not require nearly the space that downwind or even laterally does. In 15 years of dispatching I've been lucky to never have been involved in a severe turbulence incident or accident
I'm particularly vigilant and will over report preps for moderate or greater turbulence to the crews I deal with.

All good questions. Who was in front of HA35? Any one. Reports from that aircraft or the ground? Anything?

Sometimes shit happens.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
paul mcallister 19 Dec 22, 23:03Post
I keep my seatbelt on for any flight, just as it suggests in the safety briefing, but too many people do not pay attention any more.

Strange again that in an incident like this, some folks reaction is to start taking pics or video- yes I hate over use of smart phones grrr.