You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

AA 777 DFW to LHR diverts to .... Tulsa????

All about Airlines and Airliners.

DXing 06 Sep 22, 23:43Post
Don't quite get this one. According to the article, the mechanical problem, whatever it was, wasn't enough to declare an emergency. Unless they had an inflight engine shutdown or a very large hydraulic failure then I have to question Tulsa as a diversion stop. If they were already NE of Springfield MO as the article states, then a turn back to Tulsa with any kind of hydraulic failure seems questionable. STL is straight ahead and certainly offers gates already set up for wide bodies as well as way more room than TUL. Scratching my dispatch head over this one.

In any case, whether TUL or STL, SW Missouri and NW Arkansas got sprayed with jet-A.

At flight level 330, the captain announced that the flight would be diverted to Tulsa International Airport (TUL) due to a mechanical issue aboard the aircraft. The announcement came when the plane was northeast of Springfield, Missouri. The flight landed safely at 23:20 CT. All passengers and crew were accounted for.

https://simpleflying.com/american-airlines-777-diverts-50-minutes-london-flight/
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 06 Sep 22, 23:55Post
TUL is a maintenance base for AA. Pretty big one too.
Make Orwell fiction again.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 07 Sep 22, 01:47Post
ShyFlyer wrote:TUL is a maintenance base for AA. Pretty big one too.

How in the world is that? Some leftover TWA stuff? Was it TWA ever? Did TWA even go to AAL? I'm too old to remember.
DXing 07 Sep 22, 11:08Post

And still they had to fly a rescue flight in. I get the MX base but IMO if it wasn't a case of "nearest" available suitable airport, in this day and age passenger comfort should trump ease of MX.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 07 Sep 22, 22:18Post
Lucas wrote:How in the world is that?

Not sure why they chose Tulsa, but they've been there since the mid 1940s.
https://news.aa.com/news/news-details/2 ... fault.aspx

DXing wrote:in this day and age passenger comfort should trump ease of MX.

Indeed. Perhaps when/if the exact nature of the diversion is disclosed, it will be less of a headscratcher. Maybe.
Make Orwell fiction again.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 07 Sep 22, 23:33Post

Simple answer there . . . .first thing I thought when I saw this . . .
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!