You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Near Miss At MCO, Somebody Got Splainin To Do

All about Airlines and Airliners.

DXing 06 Sep 22, 12:57Post
Evidently this happened sometime last month. Great action on the part of both pilots involved. Goes to show the power of the 757. No 737 Max is ever going to replace that performance.

Evidently, he was in the middle of a handoff from one controller to another at the time of the incident. I guess I'm not so surprised that he was routed right over the airport as that would be the least invasive route. My surprise comes that the handoff occurred in such a critical space and that the approach controller he checked in with didn't seem to know what heading he was given or that the tower wasn't aware of his presence.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 06 Sep 22, 16:03Post
Because I do tons of safety analysis and processing now, I have access to all of the data on this and everything else stateside. Chafes that I can't share.

Regardless, WHOOPSIE. CAPs incoming.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 06 Sep 22, 18:21Post
Some seat cushions got well and truly chewed that day. Holy hell.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
DXing 06 Sep 22, 23:31Post
Lucas wrote:Because I do tons of safety analysis and processing now, I have access to all of the data on this and everything else stateside. Chafes that I can't share.

Tease.......bet you were a ton of fun on prom night.... ;) :)) {duck}
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 07 Sep 22, 23:38Post
I saw that the other evening, since my curreny grid square is there. Thought to myself, "meh, some Cessna driver mis-understood and well, there you have it". Told my wife as much . . . . until . . . .

You watch and listen.

Wonder what color shorts the Cessna driver had on before and after.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 08 Sep 22, 18:27Post
DXing wrote:
Lucas wrote:Because I do tons of safety analysis and processing now, I have access to all of the data on this and everything else stateside. Chafes that I can't share.

Tease.......bet you were a ton of fun on prom night.... ;) :)) {duck}

I checked back in to it and no CAPs from this. It'll go the the local safety groupies to discuss with NATCA et al, they'll do a review of the service provided by the system, provide a briefing, and give the controller who made the screw up a non-punitive letter acknowledging the event.

I thought they might look into some new barrier, but it looks like this'll just be a "whoopsie" followed by moving on.

In other news, I see that a jet I had yesterday who went emergency gave them a TCAS RA recently. Small world!