You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Mid-Air Plane Swap

All about Airlines and Airliners.

miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 20 Apr 22, 13:42Post
Pilot cousins to attempt 1st 'plane swap' in midair

All eyes will be up to the skies above California on Sunday as two cousins dare to accomplish a never-before-seen air stunt.

Luke Aikins and Andy Farrington -- longtime pilots, skydivers and members of the Red Bull Air Force aviation crew -- will attempt the first "plane swap," where they will fly their planes close together, put them into a nosedive and then skydive into each other's aircraft before making a safe landing.

Link

Popcorn, anyone?
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 20 Apr 22, 20:56Post
Darwin Awards on standby, this could be very messy!
A million great ideas...
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 Apr 22, 15:56Post
JLAmber wrote:Darwin Awards on standby, this could be very messy!

Concur . . . at least they won't breed.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 21 Apr 22, 16:16Post
Airbrakes are cheating!
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
DXing 25 Apr 22, 13:16Post
And half successful, what a waste of an aircraft.....

According to US media, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) said that it denied a request on April 22, 2022, for the stunt and event organizers to get an exemption from regulations that cover the safe operation of aircraft.

The FAA opened an investigation into the circumstances that led to one of the aircraft crashing.

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/30824-red-bull-plane-swap-unsuccessful-spins-out-of-control

Go to the 4 minute mark to skip the BS before. They never show the blue plane crash but the second video does and the twitter url shows the remains.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/PlaneSwap
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 25 Apr 22, 14:10Post
Coming hot on the heels of the idiot YouTuber who got his licence yanked for jumping out of his plane and crashing it, and especially having asked first and been denied, I fully expect the FAA to make a further example of these guys.
paul mcallister 25 Apr 22, 17:47Post
What a completely useless and pointless waste of time and money.
OK, it`s publicity for the Red Bull brand, but it just seems so wasteful.
This could have gone wrong in so many ways.
captoveur 25 Apr 22, 21:52Post
I dunno.. There was something nice about the early days of flying when people did stunts like this. Bringing it back a little bit isn't awful.

The only people really in danger were the idiots doing the stunt. If they want to take themselves out of the gene pool, who are we to stop them?
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 26 Apr 22, 10:23Post
captoveur wrote:I dunno.. There was something nice about the early days of flying when people did stunts like this. Bringing it back a little bit isn't awful.

The only people really in danger were the idiots doing the stunt. If they want to take themselves out of the gene pool, who are we to stop them?

Agreed on all counts. Doing it when the FAA specifically told you not to it perhaps the silliest part of the whole exercise. Sometimes it's easier to get forgiveness than permission {boxed}
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 26 Apr 22, 13:10Post
I'm not sure the FAA would be particularly forgiving of you lawn-darting an uncontrollable plane (or two!) into the ground intentionally for a stunt
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 26 Apr 22, 22:21Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Sometimes it's easier to get forgiveness than permission

They'd just revoke your cert afterwards...
https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/faa ... hed-plane/
Make Orwell fiction again.