You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Federal Judge Strikes Down Mask Mandate

All about Airlines and Airliners.

DXing 18 Apr 22, 23:04Post
A Federal Judge in Tampa Fl has struck down the Federal mask mandate on public transportation.

The U.S. Transportation Security Administration will stop requiring passengers on airplanes, trains and other public transportation to wear masks, after a federal judge struck down the mandate earlier Monday.

U.S. District Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle in Tampa, Florida, vacated the mask requirement nationwide and directed the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to reverse the policy put in place in February 2021. The ruling was handed down in a lawsuit filed last year by the Health Freedom Defense Fund, a nonprofit group that says it focuses on “bodily autonomy” as a human right.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-04-18/mask-mandate-for-planes-trains-overturned-by-florida-judge?srnd=premium

UA at first said that were going to still enforce masks on their aircraft but in the last hour since this post has reversed itself based on the TSA decision to follow the Courts directive. Not sure where other airlines are falling on the matter.

Now if they can just do away with the covid test 24 hours before arriving back in the States I can start traveling internationally again.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 19 Apr 22, 00:00Post
DXing wrote:Now if they can just do away with the covid test 24 hours before arriving back in the States I can start traveling internationally again.

Use a proctored test. It doesn't have to be a PCR. That's what we had planned... Until we got the 'rona in Spain.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 19 Apr 22, 01:30Post
Hallelujah
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 19 Apr 22, 03:25Post
Heh...legislation from the bench by a judge ramrodded in during the lame duck months.

Perfect.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
DXing 19 Apr 22, 05:18Post
American, Delta, Alaska, JetBlue, and Southwest have now declared masks passenger optional.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/18/business/airlines-masks/index.html
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
DXing 19 Apr 22, 05:29Post
miamiair wrote:
Use a proctored test. It doesn't have to be a PCR. That's what we had planned... Until we got the 'rona in Spain.

If I am reading the CDC website info correctly, if you do a self test you still have to do a telehealth conference with the test maker. I'm in no hurry and that's still too many hoops to jump thru for me.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 19 Apr 22, 09:48Post
DXing wrote:
miamiair wrote:

If I am reading the CDC website info correctly, if you do a self test you still have to do a telehealth conference with the test maker. I'm in no hurry and that's still too many hoops to jump thru for me.

That's exactly it. They just watch you do the deed, and issue a certificate. Cheaper than having a nasal colonoscopy at the airport.

Proctor Service
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 19 Apr 22, 09:50Post
GQfluffy wrote:Heh...legislation from the bench by a judge ramrodded in during the lame duck months.

Perfect.

It is perfect. someone with the balls to say "enough." What is it with you? You want to wear a mask, wear it. Don't force everyone else to follow fake Fauci science. Masks are bullshit. They work somewhat if YOU are infected.

You must be ecstatic with the new SCotUS pick, she's a real peach. And then we can talk about ramrodding.
DXing 19 Apr 22, 12:37Post
Although not aviation...Uber has dropped mask requirements as have several cities public transportation lines.

Question, if the major airline has dropped the mask requirements, does the regional DBA automatically follow suit?
DXing 19 Apr 22, 12:40Post
GQfluffy wrote:Heh...legislation from the bench by a judge ramrodded in during the lame duck months.

Perfect.

And people wonder why the forum is dead....I read that somewhere......
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 Apr 22, 19:11Post
This makes sense, particularly in the Northern hemisphere. Most of Europe are ditching mask mandates in time for warmer weather arriving and there's a good reason - most of the data points to masks being less effective the closer the ambient temperature gets to body temperature, which in terms of incubation of viral nasties, unwanted spores etc. would seem obvious.

DXing wrote:Now if they can just do away with the covid test 24 hours before arriving back in the States I can start traveling internationally again.

The damage caused by travel restrictions is staggering. The US will be one of the hardest hit but Australia have no idea of the economic and literal ELE headed their way. Whoever your deity is, it's worth saying a quick prayer for them next time it gets a bit burny and they realise exactly what their dear leaders have done.
A million great ideas...
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 Apr 22, 20:17Post
Good news. Not that the CDC ever had the legal authority to impose or authorize a mask mandate on airplanes and other modes of transportation. But hey, we get eviction moratoriums and everything else. The BoR etc are mere letters to Santa Claus unless enforced.

This is funny though {silly} :
FQtviFqXwA05UNd.jpeg
FQtviFqXwA05UNd.jpeg (499.72 KiB) Viewed 554 times
DXing 20 Apr 22, 13:37Post
Predictably, the Biden administration has decided to appeal the Courts decision....maybe. A confusing response as is their norm.

The Biden administration said Tuesday it will likely appeal a federal judge’s ruling that struck down Covid-19 mask mandates on planes and other forms of public transportation.

“The Department of Justice and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) disagree with the district court’s decision and will appeal,” the DOJ said in a statement, “subject to CDC’s conclusion that the order remains necessary for public health.”

“If CDC concludes that a mandatory order remains necessary for the public’s health after that assessment, the Department of Justice will appeal the district court’s decision,” the DOJ said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/19/biden-administration-will-appeal-ruling-that-lifted-covid-mask-mandate-on-travel.html

So if I read the article right, the DOJ will appeal the decision, only if the CDC decides mask mandates are still necessary. This leaves the administration a way out of their embarrassing quandary. Just delay until May 3rd, the latest end date, and then when the CDC says masks are no longer necessary, declare no appeal necessary and call it a win.

Meanwhile the airlines appear to be ignoring the administrations plans to possibly appeal, and the CDC's recommendation that passengers continue to mask, sticking with their appropriate decision to declare masking optional aboard their aircraft.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 20 Apr 22, 14:43Post
The videos and pics of celebrations the moment the ruling came through are glorious to behold, but the darker side is that authoritarians abused the populace for ages and got away with it.

DXing 20 Apr 22, 22:49Post
Why it took 48 hours to make a decision is a question, but the die is cast....

CNN)The Justice Department on Wednesday appealed a ruling by a federal judge that struck down the mask mandate for mass transportation, following a recommendation by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/20/politics/white-house-masks-on-planes/index.html

It'll be interesting to see how well the traveling public will adjust to a rollback to masks if the DOJ is able secure an injunction on the first ruling.
captoveur 25 Apr 22, 21:49Post
Good.. The air is as clean on the airplane as any of the hundreds of other places I go where a mask is not required.

Maybe now people will stop fighting with each other on the plane. Can we get alcohol service back too? I miss having a drink when I knew I was going on vacation and not driving for a few days.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.