You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Which Is The Best Looking Retro Paint Job?

All about Airlines and Airliners.

DXing 16 Mar 22, 11:42Post
So which airline has the best-looking retro paint job flying around? I'm completely biased on the subject so for me it would be:

But I have to admit I am also smitten by American Airlines. I always did love those big silver birds.

As to previous special paint jobs, again I am completely biased on the subject:

So what say you? Which airline has your favorite retro and/or special paint job?
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
darrenvox 17 Mar 22, 21:56Post
alaska or United
https://darrensfs9site.weebly.com
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 18 Mar 22, 09:31Post
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 18 Mar 22, 13:35Post

I think all the BA retros were good, but this looked the part. It's just a shame the 747s were culled earlier than expected by COVID.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 18 Mar 22, 13:51Post
^^^
What he said. It was a damned good livery at the time, even without the emotional connection of seeing that whacking great coat of arms towering over the terminal at KIN when I was a kid.

As for that Peter Max thing, if you had a runway overrun into a paint factory it couldn't come out looking much worse {crazy}
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
DXing 19 Mar 22, 10:55Post
Was there ever a BOAC retro livery done by British Airways? I looked in the photos and tried several search parameters to no effect.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 19 Mar 22, 13:05Post

Yes. I still prefer Landor, but thats probably because it's my era.

There was also G-CIVB in the Negus livery (which a 757 carried for a while as well in its twilight years)

And an A319 in BEA livery - this being the only BA retro still flying

There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
Paul Chandler1 20 Mar 22, 12:12Post
Many airlines have 1 or more aircraft in a retro livery and generally speaking they look better than the airlines current livery.
DXing 20 Mar 22, 14:19Post
Yeah, I like that BOAC scheme. I got to fly them once and it was a fun trip. I was just a kid at the time but it still seems like a grand adventure compared to today's flying experience.

Paul Chandler1 wrote:Many airlines have 1 or more aircraft in a retro livery and generally speaking they look better than the airlines current livery.

I do believe that Delta offered up several different widget designs.
airtrainer 21 Mar 22, 17:03Post
Really like this one...

Grounded...
captoveur 22 Mar 22, 13:18Post
I really liked the TWA/AA 737 I was on a few months back.

I like to think it was painted gray as a salute to how dirty the TWA fleet usually was. :))
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
PA110 (Founding Member) 22 Mar 22, 21:48Post
My sentimental favorite, since these KLM colors were still around as a young child growing up in Holland.

Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
halls120 (Plank Owner) 27 Mar 22, 17:17Post

United’s rising blue for me.
At home in the PNW and loving it
DXing 28 Mar 22, 01:02Post
Won't be retro very long. Convinced it will be back in 3-5 years. There's still a large culture of CO=bad, UA=good there.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 28 Mar 22, 21:08Post
Condor's retro liveries are some of the most photogenic producing several great shots:

KLM is decent:

But TAP is probably my personal favourite:

A million great ideas...
Mark 29 Mar 22, 15:18Post
I would like to see Delta do some retro liveries. The one I'd LOVE to see is a North Central B717.

Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175