You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Closed airports

All about Airlines and Airliners.

DXing 14 Sep 21, 14:39Post
I clicked on a click bait news story that caught my attention...closed airports. Neat pictures. Are any, other than those mentioned in the story, parks or museums? Any notable additions to the list? Any interesting stories about them to share?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/these-airports-no-longer-exist/ss-BB1dz96K?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531#interstitial=3

If you don't feel like clicking, I've included the list in the story.

Croydon Airport, Surrey England UK
Donetsk International Airport, Ukraine
Montréal Mirabel Airport, Montréal, Canada
Tegel Airport, Berlin, Germany
Tempelhof, Berlin, Germany
Robert Mueller Municipal Airport, Austin, Texas, USA
Yasser Arafat International Airport, Palestinian Territories
Nicosia International Airport, Cyprus
Ellinikon International Airport, Greece
Floyd Bennett Field, New York, USA
Ciudad Real Central Airport, Spain
Stapleton International Airport, Denver, Colorado, USA
Kai Tak International, Hong Kong

Any notable misses?

I've been to Floyd Bennet Field, interesting place. I've been thinking of a hobby to take up when fully retired, aircraft boneyards was one idea, perhaps visiting some of these old sites might be another. That would make for some interesting meets. I do wish I had had the chance to land at Kai Tak as well as Tempelhof.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 14 Sep 21, 15:52Post
DXing wrote:Any notable misses?

Merrill C. Meigs Field Airport (KCGX)

For other long gone airfields (US only):

http://www.airfields-freeman.com

I lose myself in this site from time to time...
Make Orwell fiction again.
DXing 14 Sep 21, 16:11Post
True, I think the article contained itself to airports that were served by commercial airlines though. But last time I visited the old Meigs, (2 years ago?) it's just a wasteland now. What was a decent airport convenient to downtown, it is now visited by a handful of people and a small portion is used for parties, small concerts, and meetings. A real waste. Having worked in the city for 8 years I always commended Chicago for it's use of the lakefront and keeping it accessible to all, unlike my hometown of Cleveland, but Meigs was a total failure. Maybe someday they can come up with some purposeful use but every time the city tries to do something with it the ecowarriors step in and provide a blizzard of legal challenges.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
captoveur 14 Sep 21, 20:45Post
Greater Southwest International Airport
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.
DXing 14 Sep 21, 22:00Post
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 14 Sep 21, 23:14Post
DXing wrote:I think the article contained itself to airports that were served by commercial airlines though.

It was. Great Lakes and Trans States flew into Meigs.

captoveur wrote:Greater Southwest International Airport

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/Air ... #greaterSW
Make Orwell fiction again.
Fumanchewd 15 Sep 21, 18:10Post
ShyFlyer wrote:
DXing wrote:Any notable misses?

Merrill C. Meigs Field Airport (KCGX)

This is my answer.... Meigs was THE Flight simulator default airport. I grew up in the area hanging out at Palwaukee (Now Chicago Executive), ORD, Glenview Naval Air Station, and tried to spot whatever was parked at Meigs whenever we went downtown.

Until that corrupt @$#@ Daley wanted to build a park and get kickbacks from the developers. He tried to shut the airport down using his crooked judges, etc but Meigs was federally funded so they told him no.

So he had crews illegally enter the airport in the middle of the night and tear up the runway. I think the max the feds were allowed to fine him was $150k or somethign like that and he knew it, so broke the law intending to eat the fine. I'm sure he ended up making millions.

I can't stand the Daley family, a crooked crooked family with corrupt dealings for over 50 years in Chicago- yet the Democrats and Chicago still love them. The Obama administration ended up making Daley's brother Chief of Staff when Daley stepped down to allow Emmanuel to run as mayor. Typical backdoor Daley and Chicago politics.

-----------
There are also lots of air bases that have shut that I remember. As stated above Glenview Naval outside of Chicago and Alameda in the San Francisco area. I actually lived in the old Alamaeda Naval housing that had been turned into section 8 while going to flight school in OAK.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."