You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Spirit The Latest Facing Schedule Woes

All about Airlines and Airliners.

DXing 03 Aug 21, 11:44Post
Looks like this was more about weather and the follow on crew time out issues than anything else. Still, with aircraft being full to the brim, finding seats for all these passengers will present a challenge to an airline like Spirit that I don't believe has agreements with other airlines.

The Florida-based budget carrier canceled 277 flights Monday, or 36% of its scheduled flights, on top of 165 canceled flights Sunday, according to flight tracker FlightAware. Flight delays are also an issue, with 159 so far Monday and 342 on Sunday.

Passengers reported waiting hours in line for refunds and other customer service help at airports in cities including Orlando and Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Some stranded travelers camped out.

"It looked like a hurricane shelter," passenger Rebecca Osborn said of Spirit's counters at Orlando International Airport.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2021/08/02/spirit-airlines-flights-canceled-orlando-fort-lauderdale/5452896001/

It's not going to take many more of these before the CEO's get hauled in front of Congress to explain why with all the covid money granted them, they weren't better prepared for the return of the traveling public. I've given up trying to non rev this summer. Too many of my friends have been stranded, unable to find an open seat anywhere to get where they want to go. Two weeks ago a good friend, who was in Barcelona with us, couldn't get back to EWR to work from his home in Houston. Tried 2 days in a row. Ended up getting the last seat on a plane to my home at CLE and we drove my car overnight to EWR so he could make his shift.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
DXing 03 Aug 21, 22:23Post
The story headline is about American, but shockingly inside the story is the report that Spirit had to cancel 47% of its flights on Tuesday. How they will recover and get their passengers where they want to go is quite the question. With rental cars being in short supply it's not like the old days when you could, if your destinations were on the mainland, just rent a car and drive back home. American is having trouble with their crew scheduling so that leaves even fewer seats available in the market place. Quite the boon for some start ups like Breeze.

Spirit Airlines canceled nearly half its schedule for Tuesday, the third straight day of extremely high cancellation numbers at the budget airline. By early afternoon, the low-cost carrier had canceled about 320 flights, or 47 percent of its schedule, according to the FlightAware tracking service. Dozens more flights were late. The blame appeared to lie at least partly with a technology outage affecting crew scheduling.

https://www.newsweek.com/american-airlines-cancels-nearly-300-flights-most-due-pilot-shortages-1615877
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
GavinFlies 04 Aug 21, 13:37Post
This continues to be a major hot mess.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021 ... continues/

Lots of stories from various airports around the country of local press outlets catching up with stranded folks. My favorite is the pregnant lady going from Cleveland to Atlanta who somehow wound up at LAX in this mess.