You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

737 Ditches In Ocean Off Oahu

All about Airlines and Airliners.

DXing 02 Jul 21, 14:35Post
No carrier given but I would think maybe Hawaiian?

A Boeing 737 cargo plane has been confirmed by the Federal Aviation Administration to have made an emergency landing in the ocean near Honolulu.

https://www.newsweek.com/boeing-cargo-plane-crashes-hawaii-737-goes-down-water-near-honolulu-1606405

Thank goodness that the pilots are reported safe. Fox news was reporting that there may have been engine problems reported before the ditching.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 02 Jul 21, 14:57Post
N810TA. It is operated by Rhoades Aviation in Transair colors.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 02 Jul 21, 14:58Post
Maybe a little bit more information...

737ditch.JPG
737ditch.JPG (67.73 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 02 Jul 21, 16:00Post
Night time ditch. Survived. Kudos to the crew.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
DXing 03 Jul 21, 14:57Post
I was surprised to see it was a -200. I would have thought that even with hush kits it would have trouble meeting noise levels at any airport in the U.S.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
DXing 03 Jul 21, 15:04Post

That controller needs a retrain on radio communications. She was stepping all over both aircraft. In fairness to her everyone has gotten away from saying "over" as a general rule but in emergency situations reverting to positive communication procedures helps avoid confusion.
I would have thought that the pilots would have learned something from Swissair 111. In this case you've lost an engine, secure it and land, period. Dont be diddling around with checklists.
Yokes 03 Jul 21, 17:17Post
aircraft involved:

ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 04 Jul 21, 12:05Post
DXing wrote:No carrier given but I would think maybe Hawaiian?

You know this by now I'm sure, but HA doesn't own any 737-200s . . .
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
DXing 05 Jul 21, 12:42Post
Yep, but the original article in the link, which has since been updated, did not name a carrier or the variant.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 06 Jul 21, 13:30Post
Can anyone say "insurance scam"?
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 07 Jul 21, 00:59Post
DXing wrote:Yep, but the original article in the link, which has since been updated, did not name a carrier or the variant.

Well, your original post quotes: A Boeing 737 cargo plane has been confirmed by the Federal Aviation Administration to have made an emergency landing in the ocean near Honolulu.

Link you posted: https://www.newsweek.com/boeing-cargo-p ... lu-1606405
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
DXing 08 Jul 21, 11:43Post
Yep, the story at the time reported a Boeing 737...not the type or the carrier. As I'm sure you know, Alaska operated both all cargo and combi variants of the 737-400, and currently operates several 737-700 all cargo variants so a 737 freighter is not limited to just the -200 variant. There is at least one Chinese operator as well as maybe 2 Canadian ones that fly the -700 variant as a freighter so it's not limited to just one operator either. Not being completely versed in the Hawaiian over all fleet, I speculated. Problems?
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 08 Jul 21, 12:46Post
DXing wrote:...737 freighter is not limited to just the -200 variant.

There are 300Fs, 400Fs, 400 Combi, 700F (IAI STC, horrible IMO), there is an 800F and a Boeing 800F conversion.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 08 Jul 21, 13:49Post
This shows the superiority of the 727 design. If they'd have had just one more engine, they would have probably been able to make it back to land safely.

#less737more727

{duck}
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 08 Jul 21, 16:07Post
Queso wrote:This shows the superiority of the 727 design. If they'd have had just one more engine, they would have probably been able to make it back to land safely.

#less737more727

{duck}

Unless you're out of gas, or have a bad batch of gas.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 08 Jul 21, 16:25Post
miamiair wrote:...or have a bad batch of gas.

That's what the oxy masks are for. {duck}
Make Orwell fiction again.