You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

CLE Finally Looking At Rebuilding Terminals

All about Airlines and Airliners.

DXing 12 May 21, 01:08Post
All the details won't be released until next week but according to the story rather than remodel the current concourses, which would be a waste of money, or tear down and start anew, which would probably be a boon for CAK, the city seems to have settled on the Goldie locks option.

Among the plan’s many features: larger, more light-filled ticketing, concourse and gate areas; a more centrally located customs facility; expanded security screening areas; and an on-site rental-car facility.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/plan-for-new-cleveland-hopkins-airport-with-2-billion-price-tag-to-be-revealed-next-week/ar-BB1gC7Wd?ocid=msedgdhp

Looks like D concourse will probably be demolished. That's a shame as most of the traffic now is O&D. It would make sense for an airline like United or Southwest to get the taxiway along the northeastern side closed and turned into a ticketing and baggage claim area. You'd have 12 gates ready to go with the option of getting the old express fingers torn down and another 12 available. D was an open concourse, a lot like a pole barn, but until CO remodeled the interior and created a bunch of choke points worked really well for passenger movement.

They could tear down C concourse and you wouldn't see me shed a tear. It's getting to be a long trek out to the banjo.

B concourse could stand to be torn down as well. It's very narrow and confining. Southwest's gate area at the end is always congested at bank time, or was.

A is probably the most salvageable concourse of them all. Decently wide and with standard gate seating you find at other large airports.

The ticketing area needs to be expanded about 50 feet out into where the current roadway is. It's has always bee overcrowded even after United dehubed the airport.

Intrestingly enough, baggage claim is probably the easiest part of the airport to use. More than enough room for even a fully loaded 757's worth of passengers to get their bags without tripping over each other.

Surprisingly the article mentions moving the rental cars back onsite. That would fly in the face of what every other major airport is currently doing or has done in the recent past. The rental car facility at CLE isn't really all that old nor worn down. It's just inconvenient to the airport terminal itself.

No matter what they decide, given the pace of construction at the airport in the past, I'll be long gone by the time it is complete.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
captoveur 19 May 21, 21:37Post
This sounds like the end of CLE mattering.

The city doesn't have the money. Will they raise it? yeah, sure.. Will they ever get it back? Nope.

I can't see United putting up with the mess this will be in a city they only barely care about.
I like my coffee how I like my women: Black, bitter, and preferably fair trade.