You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

France Moves To Ban Domestic Flights

All about Airlines and Airliners.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 12 Apr 21, 19:25Post
French lawmakers have moved to ban short-haul internal flights where train alternatives exist, in a bid to reduce carbon emissions.

Over the weekend, lawmakers voted in favour of a bill to end routes where the same journey could be made by train in under two-and-a-half hours.

Connecting flights will not be affected, however.

The planned measures will face a further vote in the Senate before becoming law.

Read more: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56716708
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 12 Apr 21, 19:36Post
"Connecting flights will not be affected, however"? So how does that work? Smaller planes fly the route anyway, half empty, for the benefit of those connecting onward? {boggled}

I sometimes have to visit a large scientific facility in Grenoble, as do many of my colleagues. From here, your choices are basically OUL-HEL-CDG-LYS and a bus/train, or OUL-HEL-GVA and a bus/train. While the latter is usually more expensive, this may just tip the balance in Switzerland's favour next time.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 12 Apr 21, 21:59Post
Seems a strange way to go about things. In the grand scheme of things, the benefits of targeting such a small part of their emissions seems far outweighed by the issues it would cause.

lawmakers voted in favour of a bill to end routes where the same journey could be made by train in under two-and-a-half hours.

There's a big difference between "could" and "are" as anyone who has travelled on France's rail network will confirm. At weekends you'll probably end up in a taxi powered by a diesel engine designed in 1989 chugging out more emissions than a Parisian meeting of Gauloises Anonymous.
A million great ideas...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 12 Apr 21, 23:30Post
JLAmber wrote:There's a big difference between "could" and "are" as anyone who has travelled on France's rail network will confirm. At weekends you'll probably end up in a taxi powered by a diesel engine designed in 1989 chugging out more emissions than a Parisian meeting of Gauloises Anonymous.

Last time I went there, I rocked up at the station in Grenoble to find that our train wasn't even on the board. The long-distance train drivers were on strike because... because. Ended up on a sweltering regional train half-way, then got thrown off of that onto a rail replacement bus. Arrived some four hours later than planned, fortunately at a hotel and not at an airport.

Next time, if I'm travelling with someone else and can make the maths work, I'll rent a car. Unless there's a filthy old An-12 going my way {mischief}
DXing 13 Apr 21, 12:34Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:"Connecting flights will not be affected, however"? So how does that work? Smaller planes fly the route anyway, half empty, for the benefit of those connecting onward? {boggled}

That was my thought too. If so won't AF just cut the amount of flights? And if they do that and the law only affects France domestically, in other words AF, won't Lh and others just add some frequency to get the passengers to connect through their hubs with less waiting time?
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 13 Apr 21, 12:36Post
My trips to TLS are usually through LHR, LIS or MAD. I have learned my lesson at CDG, so this wouldn't affect me.

Typical French idea, like putting back up lights on a Main Battle Tank.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Fumanchewd 22 Apr 21, 02:48Post
These types of laws (often under the false guise of environmentalism) make me sick. The trains are owned and funded by the federal government, no? So "we paid for it, you must take the train and give us your money.... for the environment of course". {crazy}

It makes about as much sense as Germany shutting off their nuclear powerplants for the environment and safety... then promptly building a pipeline to Russia for natural gas. {laugh} {laugh} Someone has their pockets well lined with Rubles. For the environment of course!
"Give us a kiss, big tits."