You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

The State of 1st Class Products (Dom/Intl)

All about Airlines and Airliners.

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Feb 21, 20:37Post
If you have recently flown first class, what is the state of the 1st-class product being offered? Is it worth it more to you now to fly 1st, or is it less appealing?

My most recent 6-7 segments in 1st (domestic, intl not included) were pretty pathetic. Food options were: a box from the rear or a sandwich from the rear; FAs obviously avoid any interaction. On my most recent flight, the FA told me that they had turkey sandwiches with cranberry if I disliked the snack boxes. That sounded good, but I got some heated, processed, sliced-chicken sandwich with nothing else on it. Blech!

I am on the fence right now about paying for first for my next flights, and might just buy one segment for the free bags. My most recent flight internationally was in econ and the flight attendant for the airline gave me two sandwiches which tasted AMAZING, even though it was a relatively short intl flight.

I haven't been on 1st intl because I don't fly all that often and am not made of money.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 23 Feb 21, 23:44Post
I don't know if this qualifies as "recent," but the last time I flew First was on United in November 2019 (DEN-LAX-DEN & DEN-ABQ-DEN). I found the service rather basic compared to my first ever experience in First (DL, ABQ-ATL-ABQ), but still worth the price.

For the DEN-ABQ runs, First really isn't all that economical but with some luck, can be competitively priced during the holiday seasons when compared to WN Business Select.

Flights longer than an hour I'd seriously consider First, for comfort reasons. Crammed into an economy seat for longer than that is painful (ref: lower back issues).
Make Orwell fiction again.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 24 Feb 21, 12:17Post
First is just a bigger seat and you get off the airplane faster. Some times booze is a perk. Food; pffft, I'd rather bring my own. Now if you're doing transcon, I'd say it is worth it just for the comfort.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Mark 24 Feb 21, 15:13Post
I only use First Class for special things and events... Like the reward trip I gave myself after graduating from nursing school. Otherwise, I'm of the mindset that first isn't worth the extra money for just a bigger seat and some food. I'm a "make do" guy. I can make do with economy for a three hour flight to LAX or FLL... or the 6 hour trip to LHR.

Other "make do" situations: I don't need the fancier rental car... I can make do with the same car make and model that I drive at home. Also, I don't need to stay at a Crowne Plaza hotel... A Holiday Inn Express offers all that I'm looking for: A bed, bathroom, and TV.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
PA110 (Founding Member) 26 Feb 21, 04:06Post
The only time I ever fly first class is when Iʻm non-revving with my brotherʻs passes. UA first class on 737s is ghetto as hell. The seats are not particularly comfortable, although larger than coach. The food is pretty uninspired, even before COVID. I rarely drink on flights. On domestic legs the cost to fly F is the same as Y, so I always list for F, but Iʻve only snagged an upgrade about 10% of the time. I donʻt mind sitting in the back and when you non-rev, UA is pretty good about giving you the best seat available.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 26 Feb 21, 10:38Post
PA110 wrote:UA first class on 737s is ghetto as hell. The seats are not particularly comfortable, although larger than coach. The food is pretty uninspired, even before COVID. I rarely drink on flights.

Agree completely. I flew a brand new 737-900 MIA-EWR. No IFE, seat was nothing special. Food was nothing to write home about, but I remember it was a cheeseburger. Booze was ok.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 26 Feb 21, 10:48Post
If you've ever read anything I posted on this site, I simply don't fly coach. Booze, hap-hazard food notwithstanding, I fly F for the room, and the easy on/off, no sill-assed baggage fee.

Will be in F on AS to ANC next week. Expect nothing more except more seat, first on, first off.

Mrs. ANC flew F ORD-DFW-BHM last week on AA. Same, same. Seat, on, off.

Interestingly enough, last year flew AA from ORD-HNL/HNL-ORD and did so in Premium Economy and found significant difference between domestic F and this trip in PE on AA.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 26 Feb 21, 19:15Post
miamiair wrote:
PA110 wrote:UA first class on 737s is ghetto as hell. The seats are not particularly comfortable, although larger than coach. The food is pretty uninspired, even before COVID. I rarely drink on flights.

Agree completely. I flew a brand new 737-900 MIA-EWR. No IFE, seat was nothing special. Food was nothing to write home about, but I remember it was a cheeseburger. Booze was ok.

I tried seat 1D on a UA 737-700 to see how it was and it was far worse than economy. I mean, I knew it might be bad because of the bulkhead, but I wanted to give it a try to see how it must feel to have it sprung on you unaware. I considered sawing off my legs and stowing them in the overhead.
Mark 26 Feb 21, 23:13Post
Lucas wrote:

I tried seat 1D on a UA 737-700 to see how it was and it was far worse than economy. I mean, I knew it might be bad because of the bulkhead.

Never, ever take a seat next to a bulkhead in any class.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
bhmbaglock 27 Feb 21, 13:44Post
I think I've flown one segment in back since COVID hit. I make a point of having Window/not Aisle preferably row 2 or 3 and try to be either first or last on the plane. Food generally sucks although on longer segments AA has a decent breakfast box for early flights. No pre-departure drinks at this point but still more room, less interaction with others, and at least a bit of service.

I've been buying coach on outbound if the timing is such that I can be confident of an upgrade and F on returns because those are far enough out you just can't tell.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 28 Feb 21, 18:29Post
Which would y'all rather do F in:

DL 764
DL A330

The price difference right now is the same as the cost for me to check bags.
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 28 Feb 21, 19:08Post
I take it you're doing SLC-ATL or SEA-ATL.

The 764 has the new suite (minus the door). The A330 has the herringbone config. I'd jump on the 764 before the A330. I've been on both quite a bit lately. Avoid the 763.
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 28 Feb 21, 19:14Post
Delta Fleet Hierarchy:

A359
A339
B772
B764 New
A333
A332
B764 Old
B763
B752 Intl
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 28 Feb 21, 19:58Post
CO777ER wrote:I take it you're doing SLC-ATL or SEA-ATL.

The 764 has the new suite (minus the door). The A330 has the herringbone config. I'd jump on the 764 before the A330. I've been on both quite a bit lately. Avoid the 763.

Correct and I saw that they had the new D1 suites or whatever they're calling them, but I've never read a review of that layout. I was concerned that it would be a very cramped feel, but if you like it, I'll nab one. Mostly I want to fly on the 64s while they are still around. My last trip to Zurich was on one!
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 28 Feb 21, 21:22Post
Yes, and pick an even numbered row on the single sides.
PA110 (Founding Member) 05 Mar 21, 18:10Post
I don't know about you guys, but give me the 1st generation sleeper seats (the ones with the manual leg rest that you had to drop the hinged legs). They were plush and padded and roomy! not like today's narrow little coffins with hard padding. The new seats may have tons of bells and whistles, compartments galore, but seriously, nothing was as comfortable as those old Barcaloungers.
pa_f_sleeper.jpg
pa_f_sleeper.jpg (104.01 KiB) Viewed 717 times
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 08 Mar 21, 13:39Post
ANCFlyer wrote:If you've ever read anything I posted on this site, I simply don't fly coach. Booze, hap-hazard food notwithstanding, I fly F for the room, and the easy on/off, no sill-assed baggage fee.

Will be in F on AS to ANC next week. Expect nothing more except more seat, first on, first off.

Mrs. ANC flew F ORD-DFW-BHM last week on AA. Same, same. Seat, on, off.

Interestingly enough, last year flew AA from ORD-HNL/HNL-ORD and did so in Premium Economy and found significant difference between domestic F and this trip in PE on AA.

Followup on this . . . AS 1A wasn't so bad in 3/6. Decent service, seat, drinks, et al. To note, didn't have a problem with leg room even in the bulkhead. Food/Beverage service was (COVID) truncated, but otherwise not too bad. I was on a 739 each time . . .

Now to reflect on two experiences in F in the last year . . . ORD-DFW/DFW-ORD on an AA 788. The first class pods are exactly as PA110 mentioned above. Hard, narrow, impossible to figure out, too many non-essential gizmos and gadgets . . . give me old school - which is why my ORD-HNL/HNL-ORD non-stop was in Premium Econ . . . better seat all the way.

Now, on the bulkhead seats. Before VX demise at the hands of AS, their seat pitch in front was 55" on the A320. Stretching my legs straight out, I could not touch the bulkhead (there' a pic in here on a trip report I made). Sadly AS dumbed that down to 44" now. I still pick the bulkhead, every time. No surprises from a reclining seat in front of me and no blad spot from that pax either.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 08 Mar 21, 15:05Post
ANCFlyer wrote:
Followup on this . . . AS 1A wasn't so bad in 3/6. Decent service, seat, drinks, et al. To note, didn't have a problem with leg room even in the bulkhead. Food/Beverage service was (COVID) truncated, but otherwise not too bad. I was on a 739 each time . . .

Now to reflect on two experiences in F in the last year . . . ORD-DFW/DFW-ORD on an AA 788. The first class pods are exactly as PA110 mentioned above. Hard, narrow, impossible to figure out, too many non-essential gizmos and gadgets . . . give me old school - which is why my ORD-HNL/HNL-ORD non-stop was in Premium Econ . . . better seat all the way.

Now, on the bulkhead seats. Before VX demise at the hands of AS, their seat pitch in front was 55" on the A320. Stretching my legs straight out, I could not touch the bulkhead (there' a pic in here on a trip report I made). Sadly AS dumbed that down to 44" now. I still pick the bulkhead, every time. No surprises from a reclining seat in front of me and no blad spot from that pax either.

I need to do a trip report on my latest legs, but there's no way I'll get the time before I'm on to more, and then to more. Blah.

I can say this: slave-ship UA 772 first is mocked, but for a 90 min transcon is loads better than the deplorable state of their 737 NGs, which are themselves far behind even the subs ERJs they have running. The regional 1st ERJ experience has been better than domestic first on the 73/5/6.

That said, I'm shocked to read that the AA788 product was so bad. I miss the days of cushy Cadillac seats, so I get it, but I'd have thought that the offering would be better.

I have missed about 10 trip reports that I should have done, but to end, I will say that the Oasis 1st on AA is highway robbery, and econ probably violates some sort of international war law. Frontier was literally better.
PA110 (Founding Member) 09 Mar 21, 01:41Post
Lucas wrote:I will say that the Oasis 1st on AA is highway robbery, and econ probably violates some sort of international war law. Frontier was literally better.

As bad as UA can be, AA is really shocking. My last trip, I paid for premium economy international, so I was able to score whatever AA calls their more legroom seats on the domestic legs. The seats in the forward designated section were a joke. Luckily I managed to score an emergency exit on the final leg, and it was ok. Service on AA sucks, but right now there really isnʻt much service, so the playing field has been somewhat leveled.

To be honest, the best flights Iʻve experienced have been non-revving on UA down the back. It still boggles the mind that they donʻt have power ports beyond Economy plus on many of their narrowbodies, but the crews who know youʻre "family" more than make up for the lack of amenities - well, that and I always bring them chocolates - a trick my brother taught me. 8)