You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Hard Landing / Crash: Drawing the Line?

All about Airlines and Airliners.

Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 22 Jan 21, 15:46Post
From yesterday's Daily...

West Atlantic Cargo Boeing 737 Damaged Landing In Exeter
A Boeing 737-400F was significantly damaged yesterday after a hard landing at the UK’s Exeter Airport. The aircraft was arriving from East Midlands Airport, also in the UK, and suffered overstress damage to the fuselage. According to reports, the cargo was unable to be unloaded due to the damage, but the pilots were unhurt.
Link

One of the pics from the link...

damage.jpg
damage.jpg (51.38 KiB) Viewed 600 times

This plane ain't gonna escape the bonds of this Earth ever again. So where is the fine line drawn between calling it a "crash" and a "hard landing"?

Is this one a "hard landing"?

hard landing.jpg
hard landing.jpg (44.66 KiB) Viewed 600 times

How about this one? "Hard landing" or "crash"? (It flew again)

757.jpg
757.jpg (208.83 KiB) Viewed 600 times

Is it a "hard landing" if it can taxi back to the ramp under it's own power? Maybe the number of pieces in which the airplane ends up? Does it have to do with death vs. injuries, or not? Keep in mind, the NTSB databases are filled with "crashes" in which no one died, and they also have uncountable "hard landings" in which someone died.

It would be good if we could narrow-down the terminology.
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 22 Jan 21, 16:30Post
A good landing is one you can walk away from. An exceptional landing is when you can re-use the airplane.

For freight dogs, I imagine not bending the airplane would constitute a good landing, even if it bounced so hard you popped a filling. Passenger flights require a bit more, finesse.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
paul mcallister 22 Jan 21, 23:50Post
Cargo floor must be buckled as they could not unload the igloos (bins) so if it`s that bad and the aircraft is 25 years+ old it`s going to be a write-off i would think.

From what I have seen I would call that a slap landing. {boxed}
DXing 23 Jan 21, 12:47Post
The FAA doesn't really determine the difference between a hard landing and a crash. It does define the difference between an "incident", where rules were broken but no life was lost or excessive damage took place but safety was in possible jeopardy, and an "accident" as loss of life and/or excessive damage to the aircraft and/or property.

In all those pictures, they would have been investigated as accidents due to the substantial damage to the aircraft and I would assume in the second picture probable loss of life.

If the landing is hard enough, but no obvious damage occurs, inspections will have to be made and a paper trail that the FAA might look into as an "occurrence" created.

Here are their (FAA) definitions.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/830.2

https://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/8900.1/v07%20investigation/chapter%2001/07_001_002.htm#:~:text=An%20incident%20is%20defined%20by%20Title%2049%20of,affects%20or%20could%20affect%20the%20safety%20of%20operations.%E2%80%9D

And in that 3rd picture, I'm pretty sure it didn't fly again.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
airtrainer 23 Jan 21, 14:20Post
DXing wrote:And in that 3rd picture, I'm pretty sure it didn't fly again.

Written off indeed https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 20190615-0
Grounded...
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Jan 21, 15:42Post
paul mcallister wrote:Cargo floor must be buckled as they could not unload the igloos (bins) so if it`s that bad and the aircraft is 25 years+ old it`s going to be a write-off i would think.

From what I have seen I would call that a slap landing. {boxed}

They taught the ground who was boss.