You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

New Lockerbie Suspect To Be Charged

All about Airlines and Airliners.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 17 Dec 20, 18:08Post
The US will soon announce charges against a Libyan suspected of making the bomb that blew up Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie in 1988, US media say.

Prosecutors will soon seek the extradition of Abu Agila Mohammad Masud to stand trial in the US, reports say.

He is currently being held in Libya, according to the Wall Street Journal. This has not been confirmed by the Libyan authorities.

Read more: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55337459
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Fumanchewd 18 Dec 20, 19:57Post
Good. Just don't give him to the UK or they'll let him go for another BP deal and give him back to Libya. {laugh} {bugeye}
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 18 Dec 20, 20:33Post
Fumanchewd wrote:Good. Just don't give him to the UK or they'll let him go for another BP deal and give him back to Libya. {laugh} {bugeye}

Scotland, not the UK. They have a separate set of legal processes North of the border that are quite distinct from ours. He would have died in prison if he was jailed in England.
A million great ideas...
Fumanchewd 18 Dec 20, 20:55Post
JLAmber wrote:
Fumanchewd wrote:Good. Just don't give him to the UK or they'll let him go for another BP deal and give him back to Libya. {laugh} {bugeye}

Scotland, not the UK. They have a separate set of legal processes North of the border that are quite distinct from ours. He would have died in prison if he was jailed in England.

Pardon me for splitting hairs (and I could be wrong), but was the pending prison transfer deal not with the UK government and the BP pressure for the prison transfer deal to happen(right when they were attempting to get rights in Libya) directly communicated to the UK government?

The Scottish government released him on the "humanitarian" grounds that he was about to die any day, never mind the fact that the Doctor who came to that prognosis was paid by the Libyan government and he went on to live another 5 years after being given the hero's welcome. After the fact that whore of a Doctor admitted that he could live another 10-20 years.

Jack Straw stated,
"Asked whether trade was a factor in his decision to include Megrahi in a prisoner swap deal with Libya, Straw told the newspaper: “Yes ... a very big part of that. I am unapologetic about that. Libya was a rogue state. We wanted to bring it back into the fold. And yes, that included trade because trade is an essential part of it and subsequently there was the BP deal.”

Obviously, the Scottish government wanted to get rid of him and the UK was working on it from another angle as well. The Scottish government and, IMO, the UK government would have both released him, and although there is no direct evidence of this, I am quite sure that London had a heavy hand on pushing the Scotts. Subsequently Megrahi was released, BP was awarded the rights, and Jack Straw's statement stands.
Fumanchewd 18 Dec 20, 21:03Post
The idea that it was only the Scottish government who supported the release of Megrahi has been refuted many times over...

Meanwhile, the Scottish government has published a series of documents relating to the case.

Holyrood ministers said the UK government papers "bear out the consistency of the Scottish government's position in all respects".

First Minister Alex Salmond said of Sir Gus's report: "I think you can take it that the Scottish government is going to feel a bit vindicated from the cabinet secretary's report.

"The big news of course is that the cabinet secretary has found that at the Autumn of 2008 the UK government, Labour government, changed its position.

"And every area of government were attempting to facilitate the release of Mr al-Megrahi's release to go back home to Libya."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-12381612
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 19 Dec 20, 13:38Post
If this new character did what al-Megrahi was supposed to have done, then al-Megrahi shouldn't have been in prison in the first place.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 Dec 20, 22:09Post
Apologies, I was unaware of the more recent updates. The official position was for a long time 'Scotland let him out, we would have left him to rot'.

ShanwickOceanic wrote:If this new character did what al-Megrahi was supposed to have done, then al-Megrahi shouldn't have been in prison in the first place.

al-Megrahi was more of an organiser, this new suspect appears to be accused of physically engineering explosive devices. Given the current global political climate I can't see much happening for some time.
A million great ideas...
Fumanchewd 20 Dec 20, 16:37Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:If this new character did what al-Megrahi was supposed to have done, then al-Megrahi shouldn't have been in prison in the first place.

I keep hearing that from various sources and I disagree. But the fact remains he was convicted in a court of law. And instead of going through any type of appeals process that the government may have had, he was freed for fossil fuel rights in Libya under a slight-of-hand trick by a whore Doctor paid by Libya, approved by the Scottish and UK government. Al-Megrahi returned home a hero- met at the airport by a mob applauding him in his home country for the Lockerbie bombing that many claim he is supposedly innocent of.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 21 Dec 20, 16:42Post
Charges came today, on the 32nd anniversary, a decision branded "bizarre, disrespectful, insensitive and extremely ill considered" by one of the families.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55399551
Fumanchewd 21 Dec 20, 22:32Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Charges came today, on the 32nd anniversary, a decision branded "bizarre, disrespectful, insensitive and extremely ill considered" by one of the families.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55399551

You left out the quotes of other family members in contradiction to that quote....

"Kara Weipz, whose brother was killed in the bombing, said at the news conference: "We are justified, vindicated, our patience and persistence has proved fruitful with this decision today."

"The motto of the family members over the last 32 years has been the truth must be known," she said."