You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

South African Airways suspends operations

All about Airlines and Airliners.

HT-ETNW 29 Sep 20, 20:32Post
Administrators in charge of South African Airways (SAA) said on Tuesday that they were suspending all operations and putting the struggling state-owned airline under "care and maintenance" until funding for a restructuring plan led by the South African government was found.

https://www.aero.uk/news-37082/South-African-Airways-to-suspend-flight-operations.html

The airline entered local bankruptcy protection in DEC-2019; last profit was posted in 2011.
-HT
Use your time wisely; remember that today is the first day of the rest of your life.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 29 Sep 20, 22:41Post
Sad, but expected. Always liked their colors.
Fumanchewd 30 Sep 20, 01:19Post
Isn't SAA one of those national airlines that the government owns and will never let go under? I am sure this is to clear the debt, but I have a hard time believing that this will last long. There aren't many choices in SA as it is. I flew there on business Jan-Feb of 2019 and decided to go with Delta as BA went too far north through LHR and SAA has notoriously bad aircraft and service.

There are loads of companies doing this right now. LATAM and Avianca are also piling all their debt into US bankruptcy court right now, although they have been privatized. They aren't going anywhere though.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
DXing 30 Sep 20, 17:33Post
Lucas wrote:Sad, but expected. Always liked their colors.

I liked their colors as well. I was hoping to see more of them when my daughter and I visited Cape Town in February. Imagine my surprise at how empty the airport was. Saw BA and a couple of freighters but SAA was conspicuously absent. Considering the whole country is shut down to outside tourism for most likely the rest of the year, not surprising that they have no business to keep the airline afloat.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
PA110 (Founding Member) 30 Sep 20, 21:17Post
I flew SAA in the days when it was run like a private corporation, even though ownership was a quasi state corporation. It was well run and well respected.

Sadly, recent SA governments replaced competent management with political lackeys. The results were entirely predictable.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
paul mcallister 01 Oct 20, 12:11Post
There is bound to be so many airline casualties due to Covid-19 and there doesn`t seem to be any end to it anytime soon.