You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Qantas And The Future of Intercontinental

All about Airlines and Airliners.

Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 21 Aug 20, 13:18Post
From the Daily today...

"Qantas Sees International Service Grounded until July 2021"

QF7 and QF8 used to fly right over me most days, giving me an opportunity for shots like this:

I know they've dumped their 747's and A380's, so my question is, when service resumes what planes would you expect them to use for QF7 and QF 8 which were, until just a few years ago, the longest commercial flights in the world?
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 21 Aug 20, 14:48Post
Even though they delayed their order earlier this year, I see them moving forward with the A350.
Make Orwell fiction again.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 Aug 20, 20:38Post
ShyFlyer wrote:Even though they delayed their order earlier this year, I see them moving forward with the A350.

{check} Qantas have experimented with some ULH routes using smaller aircraft and will undoubtedly be using a mix of 789 and A359 (possibly ULR) at some point in the future. With the ME carriers dominating the eastbound market, direct ULH flights will become a niche selling point. Selling 200 tickets on a super-efficient twin is vastly easier than doubling the numbers to cover the costs involved with flying VLJs.

Queso wrote:I know they've dumped their 747's and A380's

They haven't dumped the A380s and are embarking on a program of heavy mx and interior refit while the fleet is mothballed at VCV. Do not be surprised to see a few of their whales emerge in high density layout and spend their days on Australia's hugely popular domestic coast-to-coast routes.
A million great ideas...
halls120 (Plank Owner) 27 Aug 20, 15:20Post
Queso wrote:From the Daily today...

"Qantas Sees International Service Grounded until July 2021"

I hope they are wrong, but I’m afraid they are correct. One annual event I support every fall cancelled their 2020 event outright and rescheduled for November 2021. When I asked the organizer why it wasn’t rescheduled for spring 2021, he told me that they were being advised by their medical advisers to not count on the virus being under control until June 2021.
At home in the PNW and loving it
Fumanchewd 28 Aug 20, 20:55Post
Qantas is switching some of their grounded 787's to their Antarctic tour flights. I've been looking at these for some time now and would love to go, I think I posted a thread on the 747 flights sometime ago.

https://www.traveller.com.au/scenic-fli ... OzOUlfZqco
"Give us a kiss, big tits."