You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Manston, London's 7th airport?

All about Airlines and Airliners.

DXing 11 Jul 20, 13:21Post
Manston to be London's 7th airport? From NAS Daily 10 July...

The airport would have a dedicated air freight facility designed to handle at least 10,000 air cargo movements per year. However, it will also be permitted to offer passenger and VIP travel services, in addition to aircraft maintenance facilities.

https://simpleflying.com/london-seventh-airport-manston/

Google Maps shows both driving and public transit it to be an almost 3 hour journey from the airport to 10 Downing Street which I have always sort of considered to be central London although that may have changed. Maps also shows not a lot of port or rail traffic access. With that much freight traffic proposed won't the local road systems be a bit overwhelmed?

Might be fun to fly in there to see the Spitfire and Hurricane museum nearby though!
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 11 Jul 20, 13:25Post
This is the Manston that closed because nobody was interested?
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
DXing 11 Jul 20, 13:34Post
Perhaps they are reminiscing about the line in "Field of Dreams" that doesn't exist either..."If you build it, they will come!". {laugh}
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
airtrainer 14 Jul 20, 05:31Post
Bring Ryanair and call it London East :))
New airlines, new routes, new countries... back in the air
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Jul 20, 16:21Post
airtrainer wrote:Bring Ryanair and call it London East :))

Allegiant would offer it as Amsterdam—West.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 15 Jul 20, 09:57Post
7th?

Heathrow, Gatwick, City, Stansted, Luton and Southend - but Oxford and Lydd also brand themselves as 'London' so Manston would be number 9. Evidently airport marketers have taken several leaves out of the Ryanair Guide to Airport Names.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.