You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

B6 Leaves LGB for LAX (and Vik cries a bit)

All about Airlines and Airliners.

vikkyvik 09 Jul 20, 19:30Post
Just got the email from B6 that starting in October, they are moving all LGB flights to LAX.

While I knew this day was probably coming at some point, that doesn't make it any less painful. The B6/LGB combo was a winning combo for me.

So what do I do now? Switch airlines? Suck it up and deal with LAX? Refuse to fly and sulk in my house for 3 years?

http://otp.investis.com/clients/us/jetb ... wsid=69600
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 09 Jul 20, 19:32Post
vikkyvik wrote:So what do I do now? Switch airlines? Suck it up and deal with LAX? Refuse to fly and sulk in my house for 3 years?

Yes. Sulk for three years, then deal with LAX and some other airline.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 09 Jul 20, 19:33Post
vikkyvik wrote:Refuse to fly and sulk in my house for 3 years?

Cheaper that way. :))

Until something breaks...or your missus starts looking at things and says out loud "I wonder if we should do..."

{cry}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
DXing 10 Jul 20, 11:56Post
vikkyvik wrote:So what do I do now? Switch airlines? Suck it up and deal with LAX? Refuse to fly and sulk in my house for 3 years?

Switch too? Looks like the only real choice is WN. Kind of a down grade isn't it? Looking at the destination map on the LGB website, which might be horribly out of date, I'm surprised they don't give Delta and AA a run for their money to SLC and PHX.

GQfluffy wrote:Until something breaks...or your missus starts looking at things and says out loud "I wonder if we should do... {cry}

Yeah, this. I've only been at home for 3 months now and already I've heard that one! {laugh} {laugh} {laugh}
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
vikkyvik 10 Jul 20, 16:44Post
DXing wrote:Switch too? Looks like the only real choice is WN. Kind of a down grade isn't it?

Presumably WN will add more flights to LGB. They're already adding AUS in November. Maybe if I'm lucky, AA and DL will as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yes, WN, would be a big downgrade for me. I haven't flown them in over a decade, and would prefer to keep it that way.

I could switch airlines and fly out of SNA, ONT, or BUR...none would be quite as convenient, but still a better experience than LAX.

DXing wrote:Yeah, this. I've only been at home for 3 months now and already I've heard that one!

Oh, I hear it all the time. Though it's usually phrased "I want to do..." Which, of course, means "thou shalt do..."
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 10 Jul 20, 17:23Post
LAX is such a pain in the rear end. Sorry that B6 is leavin' LGB. I think you should consider thinking out of the box, such as maybe changing careers and becoming a CEO so that you can use charter planes instead.

Just my {twocents} .
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 10 Jul 20, 21:17Post
DXing wrote:Yeah, this. I've only been at home for 3 months now and already I've heard that one! {laugh} {laugh} {laugh}

Retirement sounds expensive. {bugeye}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
DXing 11 Jul 20, 12:07Post
vikkyvik wrote:I could switch airlines and fly out of SNA, ONT, or BUR...none would be quite as convenient, but still a better experience than LAX.

I was tempted to ask how much farther away SNA was. It appears that airline and destination wise there are plenty more choices after B6 leaves LGB. I haven't driven around SoCal in a long time but I seem to remember getting to BUR or ONT from the coastal areas was a bit of a hassle no matter what time of day.

As a dispatcher I avoided using LGB as an alternate like the plague. Neither CO or UA flew there regularly while I was employed so quick turnarounds were a factor. Also, since I worked afternoons, ETA was a big factor due to the noise curfew. I preferred ONT as I could use it for not only domestic but Hawaiian and international flights as well. Although in reality, on the Hawaiian and some international flights, there was so much ETOPS fuel left over you could use LAS if you needed too.

GQfluffy wrote:Retirement sounds expensive.

{laugh} {laugh} Considering what I was paying for rent at the work apartment in Chicago, what she wants done is a bargain! :)) Honestly, I had set money aside for everything she has asked for so far as she had dropped hints while I was still working. It's the unexpected nickel and dime projects on the outside of the house that I am finding that have me on a first name basis with the hardware store cashiers. {sigh}
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 12 Jul 20, 19:36Post
DXing wrote:I was tempted to ask how much farther away SNA was. It appears that airline and destination wise there are plenty more choices after B6 leaves LGB.

Unless there is no choice, like Hell freezing over, etc...I will never fly into LAX. So...do this. :))
vikkyvik 13 Jul 20, 19:54Post
Lucas wrote:Just my .

Always uselessful. I have placed "become CEO" on my task list.

GQfluffy wrote:Retirement sounds expensive.

Waiting for DXing's "I've picked up a new job..." thread. :))

Speaking of LAX and DXing, Jim, were you at an LAX meet back in 2007 or 2008 or so? I feel like I met you there, but I could be confusing people.

DXing wrote:I was tempted to ask how much farther away SNA was.

LGB is about 20 miles, SNA is about 25 miles. ONT is maybe 30. BUR is also 30 or so, but traffic would be by far the worst.

DXing wrote:I haven't driven around SoCal in a long time but I seem to remember getting to BUR or ONT from the coastal areas was a bit of a hassle no matter what time of day.

Getting anywhere from anywhere else is a hassle. I don't live near the coast anymore, but there is traffic any direction you choose to go.
DXing 13 Jul 20, 22:56Post
vikkyvik wrote: Speaking of LAX and DXing, Jim, were you at an LAX meet back in 2007 or 2008 or so? I feel like I met you there, but I could be confusing people.

Oct 7, 2007

The illicit parking garage shots...

Up on the hill...

Yeah....hurry up, the line at the In & Out is getting longer!

vikkyvik 14 Jul 20, 14:21Post
DXing wrote:Oct 7, 2007The illicit parking garage shots...

Hah! There we go. Thanks for posting those.

Who's the guy in the 2nd shot? Matt D?
DXing 14 Jul 20, 14:50Post
I believe so. But I am so poor on names I have trouble remembering my own.

Do you remember the sign up on the garage?
vikkyvik 14 Jul 20, 16:57Post
DXing wrote:Do you remember the sign up on the garage?

The one that said "absolutely no photography of any kind is permitted" or whatever?
DXing 14 Jul 20, 17:59Post
That's the one. I thought of that at Chernobyl when the guide said, "To left is not authorized to take pictures.", to a resounding click, click, click of camera shutters! {laugh}