You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

U.S. China airline war?

All about Airlines and Airliners.

DXing 03 Jun 20, 17:55Post
Looks like it might get a bit more difficult to get from the U.S. to China in the near future if the two governments can't reach an agreement. My question is that with the U.S. government changing how it treats Hong Kong will that mean flying to Hong Kong will also be curtailed?

Trump administration to bar Chinese passenger carriers from flying to U.S.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-china-airlines-exclusive/exclusive-trump-administration-set-to-bar-chinese-passenger-carriers-from-flying-to-u-s-sources-say-idUSKBN23A248
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
Braniff747SP 03 Jun 20, 18:31Post
Looks like some old-school tit-for-tat action, here, and some cliff-edge tactics. Pretty standard for ATA enforcement.

I have a feeling (perhaps too optimistic?) that CAAC will come around - no one wants this to happen. The usual crowd is flipping out about Trump doing this and that, but I'm not sure what else DOT was supposed to do in this case.

DXing wrote: My question is that with the U.S. government changing how it treats Hong Kong will that mean flying to Hong Kong will also be curtailed?

This is a good question which I'd like the answer to, too. Currently, there's a separate US-HK ATA. Now that the USG is changing is policy vis a vis HK, does that mean we're throwing out all the agreements made between HKSAR and the U.S.?
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!
halls120 (Plank Owner) 07 Jun 20, 10:06Post
I know this will cause some here to perhaps have a heart attack, but I support Trump on this one. China's one way attitude has to be pushed back against.
At home in the PNW and loving it