You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Storage - slides removed?

All about Airlines and Airliners.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 31 May 20, 20:22Post
Got up close to one of Finnair's stored A321s today and noticed that the slides have been removed:

noslides.jpg
noslides.jpg (705.34 KiB) Viewed 749 times

Is that typical?
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 31 May 20, 20:42Post
I'm pretty certain it's not standard procedure. They do need a full inspection every 3 years so, like many minor mx tasks, it would make sense to pull any that are close to requiring attention and get them done now while the aircraft is going nowhere.
A million great ideas...
Fumanchewd 31 May 20, 21:31Post
All airlines are cash strapped and many are pulling parts off of sitting aircraft. We've been told this directly by many many carriers, almost all of them are doing it.

As air travel comes back there will be a rush for parts to get sitting aircraft airworthy again.

Additionally, as of right now there are a dozen or so big big RFP's from major airlines on tearing down their fleets, this will help mitigate the requirement for some of these missing parts, but it will still be a big rush.
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
Fumanchewd 09 Jun 20, 21:53Post
JLAmber wrote:I'm pretty certain it's not standard procedure. They do need a full inspection every 3 years so, like many minor mx tasks, it would make sense to pull any that are close to requiring attention and get them done now while the aircraft is going nowhere.

Additionally, the Date of Manufacture is important, as after 15 years they need to be tagged annually. The price difference between slides that are 1-10 years old and 10+ years old is quite large as the maintenance costs compound significantly after 15 years.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 12 Jun 20, 20:19Post
<Insert smartass comment about MEL here>

;)
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 12 Jun 20, 20:27Post
Queso wrote:<Insert smartass comment about MEL here>

;)

You say that... If they suddenly decided to use this bird as a freighter, presumably they could do that without putting the slides back? After all, if they can take the seats out...
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Fumanchewd 13 Jun 20, 20:38Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:
Queso wrote:<Insert smartass comment about MEL here>

;)

You say that... If they suddenly decided to use this bird as a freighter, presumably they could do that without putting the slides back? After all, if they can take the seats out...

How would the pilots and rats get off in an emergency?
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 14 Jun 20, 04:23Post
Fumanchewd wrote:How would the pilots and rats get off in an emergency?

Kiss the nearest flight attendant?
Make Orwell fiction again.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 Jun 20, 20:11Post
ShyFlyer wrote:
Fumanchewd wrote:How would the pilots and rats get off in an emergency?

Kiss the nearest flight attendant?

{laugh}

Or do it themselves - most pilots are massive wan....
A million great ideas...