You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

CRJ-200s Can't Tell Right From Left

All about Airlines and Airliners.

ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 30 May 20, 14:30Post
...either that, or they became self-aware and attempted suicide. Hard to say. {duck}

A very specific software bug made airliners turn the wrong way if their pilots adjusted a pre-set altitude limit.

The bug, discovered on Bombardier CRJ-200 aircraft fitted with Rockwell Collins Aerospace-made flight management systems (FMSes), led to airliners trying to follow certain missed approaches turning right instead of left – or vice versa.

[...]

First discovered in 2017, the flaw was only apparent when pilots manually edited a pre-set “climb to” altitude programmed into a “missed approach” procedure following an Instrument Landing System approach. It also arose if pilots used the FMS's temperature compensation function in extremely cold weather.

Full article: https://www.theregister.com/2020/05/29/ ... roach_bug/
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
DXing 31 May 20, 18:26Post
Only sat in the Jumpseat of a CRJ-200 once and that was enough. What a piece of junk. Everything was dialed in correctly and it still over shot the ILS approach by enough that the approach controller asked the crew where they were going.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 31 May 20, 21:00Post
There were a lot of stories about the early CRJs suffering from numerous issues caused by the grafting of flight systems designed for the Challenger into the cockpit of the CRJ. I often wondered if there were any aircraft still out there that benefited from the fixes of the very talented but often equally drunk team who spent the mid-90s chasing such bugs.

Guess there are, and it looks like they missed one.
A million great ideas...