You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

COVID-19 Airport Parking

All about Airlines and Airliners.

GavinFlies 04 May 20, 22:25Post
Looking at the pictures of parked fleets at respective airports, some of the planes are packed in there so you obviously have to move the 20 or 30 or so in front of it.

When the planes came in to parking - was there a rhyme and reason for taking tails out of service first in regards to age, maintenance issues and requirements, etc. and parking them in an order as such or did they mostly come in and park in whatever fashioned happened at the time when the airlines were able to pull them from service?

Just curious.
DXing 05 May 20, 11:58Post
At first, since it happened so quickly, they were probably parked as they arrived although aircraft types would tend to be grouped together. Once they were on the ground long term plans could be developed and a more organized parking plan could be developed. Depending on the equipment the storage operator has it doesn't take much to move them around.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
GavinFlies 05 May 20, 18:18Post
I can see that being the case. It appears at Republic's IND base there are many planes parked which can be pulled out into an alley way as I understand there is some maintenance work being done on quite a few birds while they are there for the time being.

However, that line up of AA at PIT -- if you need to get to a plane in the middle - have fun pulling all those out in front of it! :)
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 05 May 20, 19:06Post
Related article from Finnair's in-flight magazine:

https://www.finnair.com/fi-en/bluewings ... ed-2107168

Not enough chocks, never thought of that one!
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 06 May 20, 19:03Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Not enough chocks, never thought of that one!

There's a small company on the South Coast who make engine covers. They've been working round the clock and staffing their line with furloughed Airbus staff to keep up with demand. Most Airbus are issued with a set but they do get lost/deployed elsewhere/eaten by mice, etc.
A million great ideas...
DXing 12 May 20, 16:24Post
Dropped my daughter off at CLE this morning. Having been off from work for over a month now I don't think the cutback in flying had really hit me until now. Just amazing. There were more 737's over by the MX hangar and more RJ's over by the Express Jet hangar as well. Not sure but with the engines, tires, and pitot/port covers all in place, as well as 30 days on the ground, does that demand that a MX inspection and test flight are required before a return to service?

What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?