You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Harrison Ford...Oops I Did It Again

All about Airlines and Airliners.

DXing 29 Apr 20, 13:07Post
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/harrison-ford-faa-investigation-error-plane-runway

Harrison Ford is being investigated for making an error while operating a plane this week in California, according to a new report.

The actor, an avid flyer, apparently landed at the Hawthorne Airport on Friday in Southern California when he began traveling from the runway to the taxiway. According to audio obtained by TMZ, Ford, 77, failed to follow a tower operator's direction to "hold short" on the runway due to "traffic."

How many chances does a pilot get? This makes how many incidents and accidents he has chalked up? Says later in the article he was in the process of getting his license "updated" so if it was indeed a check ride, I would think it was an immediate red card. Age? At 77 you have to wonder if the FAA won't require another medical with emphasis on hearing. Fortunately nobody was close but that's just chance.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
md88dawg 30 Apr 20, 00:16Post
And here is the audio from the first time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzy9jCFk0Iw
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 30 Apr 20, 03:27Post
The linked article states the purpose of the flight was "maintain currency and proficiency of the aircraft." Sounds to me like pattern work. The TMZ article made the mention of "getting his license updated" and since TMZ is like most journalistos I'd wager they just don't know what they're talking about.

Maybe Ford is losing his touch, I really don't know. I know that the last interviews I saw of him around the release of The Force Awakens he seemed a little disconnected. To be fair, that is probably more his attitude than mental state.
Make Orwell fiction again.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 30 Apr 20, 14:29Post
ShyFlyer wrote:The linked article states the purpose of the flight was "maintain currency and proficiency of the aircraft." Sounds to me like pattern work. The TMZ article made the mention of "getting his license updated" and since TMZ is like most journalistos I'd wager they just don't know what they're talking about.

Maybe Ford is losing his touch, I really don't know. I know that the last interviews I saw of him around the release of The Force Awakens he seemed a little disconnected. To be fair, that is probably more his attitude than mental state.

It's very much his attitude. I state this from personal experience. His stick-and-rudder skills, though, are great.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 30 Apr 20, 15:14Post
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
PA110 (Founding Member) 30 Apr 20, 16:29Post
My dad's best friend is now 99 and was still flying until just a few years ago. He's continued to pass his physicals far beyond the point at which most hang up their wings. He experienced an engine failure 10 years ago (at age 89) which resulted in him setting his Cessna down in the Westhampton dunes.

https://www.27east.com/southampton-press/89-year-old-pilot-from-westhampton-safely-crash-lands-on-beach-1650658/
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 01 May 20, 13:37Post
In his defense (slightly) - he read back incorrectly, and this was not picked up by the controller at the time.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 01 May 20, 15:30Post
mhodgson wrote:In his defense (slightly) - he read back incorrectly, and this was not picked up by the controller at the time.

FWIW, I got dinged a few times by QA for doing what the controller did—giving long-winded restatements of an instruction which hasn't changed. "Potential read-back hear-back error introduced." Especially with "traffic on the runway" being thrown in.

Which sucks, because I'm a talker.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 01 May 20, 16:20Post
"Hold position, I'll call you." Job done.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 01 May 20, 20:10Post
He's the same age as my Father who recently had the wisdom to surrender his driving license when he realised he had to think about where the brake was. The wise move is to pack it in before your luck runs out, there are no awards for the pluckiest pilot in the cemetery.
A million great ideas...
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 01 May 20, 21:42Post
JLAmber wrote:The wise move is to pack it in before your luck runs out, there are no awards for the pluckiest pilot in the cemetery.

And he's used The Force...I mean has used a lot of luck the past few years...
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Fumanchewd 01 May 20, 21:53Post
Off topic, but I've met him a few times at various airports. Last time I saw him was in the early 2000's at SDL. He flew in in a Cirrus with Calista. He met up with a PC12 owner to take a look at the aircraft to buy. They ended up taking some of the panels off of the front to look at the engine right there on our staging ramp. Our aircraft Maintenance Manager went out there to tell him that we didn't allow owners to take off cowlings or do maintenance on our staging ramp and Harrison started yelling at him to go to hell. Our Maintenance Manager started yelling back to either put the cowling back on or leave. Harrison always seemed to be a grumpy ol git, but so was our maintenance manager. {laugh}
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
paul mcallister 03 May 20, 22:09Post
Perhaps he should not fly Solo ? :)) I`ll get my coat.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 04 May 20, 00:58Post
Fumanchewd wrote:Off topic, but I've met him a few times at various airports. Last time I saw him was in the early 2000's at SDL. He flew in in a Cirrus with Calista. He met up with a PC12 owner to take a look at the aircraft to buy. They ended up taking some of the panels off of the front to look at the engine right there on our staging ramp. Our aircraft Maintenance Manager went out there to tell him that we didn't allow owners to take off cowlings or do maintenance on our staging ramp and Harrison started yelling at him to go to hell. Our Maintenance Manager started yelling back to either put the cowling back on or leave. Harrison always seemed to be a grumpy ol git, but so was our maintenance manager. {laugh}

Your comment made my day.

Paul's sealed the deal!
Fumanchewd 04 May 20, 15:56Post
Lucas wrote:
Fumanchewd wrote:Off topic, but I've met him a few times at various airports. Last time I saw him was in the early 2000's at SDL. He flew in in a Cirrus with Calista. He met up with a PC12 owner to take a look at the aircraft to buy. They ended up taking some of the panels off of the front to look at the engine right there on our staging ramp. Our aircraft Maintenance Manager went out there to tell him that we didn't allow owners to take off cowlings or do maintenance on our staging ramp and Harrison started yelling at him to go to hell. Our Maintenance Manager started yelling back to either put the cowling back on or leave. Harrison always seemed to be a grumpy ol git, but so was our maintenance manager. {laugh}

Your comment made my day.

Paul's sealed the deal!

Lol, it wouldn't have mattered if it was an STOL Millennium Falcon and Calista was a wookie, he was still getting his ass chewed out...