You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Kobe Bryant Killed in Helicopter Crash

All about Airlines and Airliners.

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 26 Jan 20, 19:50Post
Breaking News: Kobe Bryant and at least 4 other occupants were killed in a helicopter crash.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/26/kobe-bry ... calabasas/
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 26 Jan 20, 19:59Post
Kobe frequently used his private Sikorsky S-76B helicopter, reg. N76FL, to fly around the Los Angeles area.

Presumably, this was the helicopter involved in the crash. Kobe's wife and 4 daughters are reported to not have been on board.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 26 Jan 20, 21:07Post
I just got done reading of him congratulating LeBron on Twitter about LeBron passing Kobe on the scoring list all-time.

His daughter, Gigi was reportedly on board last I saw on Twitter.
vikkyvik 27 Jan 20, 15:42Post
Kobe and his daughter were onboard, along with 7 others.

Was quite cloudy/foggy yesterday morning, and Calabasas is a hilly area.

Zak wrote:Presumably, this was the helicopter involved in the crash.

Had no idea that was Kobe's helicopter.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 27 Jan 20, 22:35Post
It's now confirmed that the weather was borderline and the flight was advised to stay grounded. There is an ATC recording doing the rounds where the pilot is repeatedly told he is too low, though that is not yet confirmed.
A million great ideas...
md88dawg 28 Jan 20, 04:27Post
VASAviation has audio clips up from the helicopter pilot with ATC. I've read that the "too low level for flight following" was not that uncommon given the terrain in the area. However, they tragically never re-established contact with ATC.

DXing 29 Jan 20, 00:19Post
Sometimes, as a passenger, you have to say to yourself, maybe I should take the car. Terrible accident but completely avoidable. Not sure why the pilot didn't turn around and head back when the mountains were not in sight. Another factor, he was the "only" pilot onboard. No one to second guess or bounce ideas off of.

One of the reasons I decided not to pursue an IFR rating was that I thought that "in the dark, in the clouds, all by myself" was not a place I wanted to be. Not saying there aren't people who can do that but anyone who says that your chances of missing something that ends up turning you into a statistic goes up quite a bit is only fooling themselves.

I saw a story today that Kobe and his wife had an agreement that they would never both fly on the same helicopter. Smart agreement on their part.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?