You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Boeing 777X First Flight

All about Airlines and Airliners.

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 24 Jan 20, 16:58Post
I guess some good news for Boeing are in order - the 777X is set to take off for its first flight from PAE within the hour.

It's not on Flightradar yet, but should show up any minute. Callsign will be BOE001.

Boeing offers a live stream here: http://www.boeing.com/commercial/777x/f ... 1#/webcast

The GE9X engines are certainly impressive:

Here's hoping that the test flight will be a success - no door blowouts please {duck}
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 24 Jan 20, 18:49Post
Crappy day to go flying...

Nice looking airplane.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 24 Jan 20, 20:51Post
miamiair wrote:Crappy day to go flying...

Looks like it. 3 hours into the show, and the 777X is still only showing its capability of sitting at the end of a runway. {boxed}

Wonder what's the wind limit for the test flight? Scheduled flights and Dreamliner test flights are taking off and landing at PAE, so it can't be that bad.

I guess they need somewhat calm conditions to get proper readings during the flight?
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 24 Jan 20, 21:36Post
Sounds like they scrubbed it...
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
airtrainer 24 Jan 20, 22:30Post
Winds were off limits apparently. Beautiful aircraft indeed ! From the video they showed at the beginning those 10 abreast seats almost look comfortable, almost...
Grounded...
airtrainer 26 Jan 20, 05:53Post
Grounded...
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 26 Jan 20, 13:03Post
Sexy beast. Goes to show you where the McDonnell Douglas engineers went. :))
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 26 Jan 20, 17:29Post
Spectacular aircraft, indeed. To the first one to ride the SXM fence right behind one of those monster engines - Carib's on me!

Armchair engineer's question about the folding wingtips - wouldn't it have been more efficient to have them folding down? That way, even if the actuators fail, they would stay up in flight as long as the wings generate lift, and drop down all by themselves after landing.

There's probably a good reason they made them the way they are. Just wondering, though.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 26 Jan 20, 17:31Post
I'd hazard a guess that they'd be driven into more than often enough to offset any benefits.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
airtrainer 27 Jan 20, 16:57Post
Very nice shot posted on Boeing's Instagram account {thumbsup}

https://www.instagram.com/p/B71HFTlAayM ... dag0xpm82p
Grounded...
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 27 Jan 20, 21:59Post
Was anyone else underwhelmed by the folding wingtips? I was underwhelmed by the folding wingtips.

Otherwise, great first flight. Hopefully Boeing get this right and we get to see a plethora of 77X flying soon.
A million great ideas...
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 27 Jan 20, 22:25Post
JLAmber wrote:Was anyone else underwhelmed by the folding wingtips? I was underwhelmed by the folding wingtips.

Otherwise, great first flight. Hopefully Boeing get this right and we get to see a plethora of 77X flying soon.

I was about as excited as I was for the B748...which is to say, not very.
IFEMaster (Project Dark Overlord & Founding Member) 28 Jan 20, 19:42Post
JLAmber wrote:Was anyone else underwhelmed by the folding wingtips? I was underwhelmed by the folding wingtips.

And here I was, thinking that it was some technical evolution in winglets.

Nope. Just a way to make the plane work at airports.

Speaking of which...why no winglets? I thought the efficiency gains of winglets was an accepted and proven theory.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
DXing 29 Jan 20, 00:06Post
Zak wrote:Spectacular aircraft, indeed. To the first one to ride the SXM fence right behind one of those monster engines - Carib's on me!

Armchair engineer's question about the folding wingtips - wouldn't it have been more efficient to have them folding down? That way, even if the actuators fail, they would stay up in flight as long as the wings generate lift, and drop down all by themselves after landing.

There's probably a good reason they made them the way they are. Just wondering, though.

I suspect it would take quite a bit of airspeed to generate enough lift to keep them up, more than the small area of the wingtips can generate. It certainly would not due to have them "flapping" as the plane came in to land. My understanding is that Boeing had to come up with multiple redundancies to insure that the wing tips will stay in locked position when flying.

IFEMaster wrote:Speaking of which...why no winglets? I thought the efficiency gains of winglets was an accepted and proven theory.

The 787, 777 and the 764 have the "raked" wing tips instead of winglets. The link gives a better explanation of why than I could ever do.

https://www.aircraftengineer.info/raked-wingtips/
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?