You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Boeing Resets NMA (797) Development to Zero

All about Airlines and Airliners.

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 23 Jan 20, 11:05Post
Boeing has stopped the development of its "New Mid-market Airplane" (NMA), inofficially dubbed "797".

Boeing's new CEO David Calhoun says the company wants to "start with a clean sheet of paper, again", without providing a timeline for this.

Calhoun also said: "We might have to start with the flight control philosophy before we actually get to the airplane. Design decisions related to pilots flying airplanes are very important for the regulator and for us to get our head around".

Source: https://www.flightglobal.com/air-transp ... 96.article

Boeing's initial plan was to introduce the 797 as a successor for the 757 in 2025. With the now announced clean sheet approach, this schedule would seem unlikely to uphold.

The 797 was expected to come in 2 variants: 225 seats (single-class layout) / 5,000 nmi range, and 275 seats / 4,500 nmi range.

Airbus plans to start delivering their take to the concept, the A321XLR, in 2023. It can seat upto 244 pax and will have a range of 4,500 to 4,700 nmi. The A321LR (244 seats / 4,000 nmi) is in service already.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Jan 20, 11:53Post
They're learning! {thumbsup}
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Jan 20, 12:45Post
I wonder if that's because Boeing are diverting their resources because they've decided to rush through a clean-sheet replacement for their other narrowbody? Better late than never if so.

Zak wrote:Airbus plans to start delivering their take to the concept, the A321XLR, in 2023

There will be A321XLRs in service by third quarter 2022. Some of the wing mods from the XLR will also become standard across the A321 range and will be modded to suit A319/20, such is their success in early testing. But I digress.
A million great ideas...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 23 Jan 20, 13:43Post
JLAmber wrote:Some of the wing mods from the XLR will also become standard across the A321 range and will be modded to suit A319/20, such is their success in early testing. But I digress.

Intriguing.

Perhaps this belongs in a new thread, but I'll ask it here anyway: Are any of those retrofittable, and worth retrofitting?
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 23 Jan 20, 14:34Post
Dear Boeing;

You already have the plans for a winning NMA. Simply go to the drawer containing the 757 plans, unroll them, revise them to work with a modern engine with just as much thrust as the RB211's, and build it. Call it the 757Q.

I'll be waiting beside the mailbox for my royalty checks. :)

You're welcome.
Queso
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 23 Jan 20, 15:28Post
Queso wrote:Simply go to the drawer containing the 757 plans, unroll them, revise them to work with a modern engine with just as much thrust as the RB211's, and build it.

Because that worked so brilliantly for the 737? {boxed}

Queso wrote:Call it the 757Q.

Why not 757 MAX? {mischief}
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 23 Jan 20, 15:56Post
Zak wrote:
Queso wrote:Simply go to the drawer containing the 757 plans, unroll them, revise them to work with a modern engine with just as much thrust as the RB211's, and build it.

No, they redesigned the whole damned thing with the 737. That's SPECIFICALLY why they should not "clean sheet" it, go with a proven design and only update what's needed for the biggest performance increases. Old tech should be cheaper to build, too.

Zak wrote:
Queso wrote:Call it the 757Q.

Why not 757 MAX? {mischief}

Because that just sounds stupid, like 737MAX and A320NEO.
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 23 Jan 20, 16:33Post
Rather cheesy if you ask me...
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 23 Jan 20, 19:00Post
Queso wrote:No, they redesigned the whole damned thing with the 737. That's SPECIFICALLY why they should not "clean sheet" it, go with a proven design and only update what's needed for the biggest performance increases. Old tech should be cheaper to build, too.

They did not redesign the 737. Instead of going for a clean sheet approach, they decided to re-engine the now 60 year old design. Which led to a ton of problems and ended them up in the mess they are in right now.

Citing Wikipedia:
In 2006, Boeing started considering the replacement of the 737 with a "clean-sheet" design that could follow the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. In June 2010, a decision on this replacement was postponed into 2011.

On December 1, 2010, Boeing's competitor, Airbus, launched the Airbus A320neo family to improve fuel burn and operating efficiency with new engines: the CFM International LEAP and Pratt & Whitney PW1000G. In February 2011, Boeing's CEO Jim McNerney maintained "We're going to do a new airplane." At the March 2011, ISTAT conference, BCA President James Albaugh was not sure about a 737 re-engine, like Boeing CFO James A. Bell stated at the JP Morgan Aviation, Transportation and Defense conference the same month. The A320neo gathered 667 commitments at the June 2011, Paris Air Show for a backlog of 1,029 units since its launch, setting an order record for a new commercial airliner.

On July 20, 2011, American Airlines announced an order for 460 narrowbody jets including 130 A320ceos and 130 A320neos, and intended to order 100 re-engined 737s with CFM LEAPs, pending Boeing confirmation. The order broke Boeing's monopoly with the airline and forced Boeing into a re-engined 737.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737_MAX#Background

And that's the problem with the "good ol' times" approach. You cannot retrofit an old aircraft with modern engines, as modern engines are physically bigger. There simply isn't enough space under the wings. Boeing literally tried squaring the circle with the 737 NG already, which led to the oddly shaped nacelles:

For the MAX, even that wouldn't have cut it. They would have needed a much higher and stronger gear, but that wouldn't have fitted in the landing gear bay.

So they decided to move the engines forward and up:

- - - - Boeing 737-800 - - - - - - - - Boeing 737 MAX 8 - - - - - - - - Airbus A320neo - - -

That placement of the engines caused the aerodynamics to change significantly. In order to counter that, Boeing resorted to the dreaded MCAS software, that was supposed to counter the aerodynamic effects and allow 737-NG certified pilots to fly the MAX without any additional training.

At least in theory. As we know now, that theory did not hold up. It was a bad idea, badly executed.

Going for a clean sheet approach would have allowed Boeing to design an aircraft with enough ground clearance for modern engines, including a bay that could host a stronger landing gear. Note in the photos above how much less gound clearance the 737 has, compared to the A320.

But Boeing decided against it, fearing the costs of falling several months behind Airbus. Only to now pay a much higher price, which will likely cause them to fall years behind.

Answers from the 1960ies were good for 1960 problems, but not necessarily for 2020 ones.
airtrainer 23 Jan 20, 23:01Post
What also gave Boeing a lot of headaches was the fact that the Neo would require only minimum training for the A320 pilots.
New airlines, new routes, new countries... back in the air
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Jan 20, 00:32Post
Queso wrote:Dear Boeing;

You already have the plans for a winning NMA. Simply go to the drawer containing the 757 plans, unroll them, revise them to work with a modern engine with just as much thrust as the RB211's, and build it. Call it the 757Q.

I'll be waiting beside the mailbox for my royalty checks. :)

You're welcome.
Queso

I personally still think that it's possible that they'll basically do just that. But I think that Calhoun (sp?) is making the correct PR move here in what is a volatile time for them. The same sort of response that they should have offered after the second MAX crash.

But I am a known dolt so don't take my word for it.
TUSpilot (Founding Member) 24 Jan 20, 18:02Post
Zak wrote:

It only didn't work for the 737 because of its short landing gear. Re-engining a previous generation design does work when you already have adequate ground clearance. See KC-135, A320NEO, A330NEO, & 777X. The 757 has tall landing gear and its original engines have a similar diameter to the CFM LEAP on the NEO.

I wouldn't just dust off 757 plans though. Add 8 inches to the cabin width to use wider seats and allow for cargo containers in the hold. Use modern materials and increase the aspect ratio of the wing. I'm not sure why previous reports indicated a 2-3-2 widebody with bulk loaded cargo. That seemed like a mistake. And don't get me started on single-pilot commercial flights...
We live in a galaxy far far away and we STILL have to connect in ATL.
paul mcallister 24 Jan 20, 21:20Post
I like the idea of an updated B757 with some tweeks as suggested, modern airliners need to have some decent level of comfort, not the flying cowsheds we currently have.
I also don`t like the aircraft designed for a 2-3 hr flight being used for 5hr or 6hr+ or more, ie a 737 on a transatlantic route, I don`t care what they do to make it fly further, you are still squidged in like sardines having to touch butt cheeks with your fellow passengers. {bugeye}

Just my humble opinion.
airtrainer 24 Jan 20, 21:46Post
TUSpilot wrote:Add 8 inches to the cabin width to use wider seats put an extra seat on each row

FTFY :))
New airlines, new routes, new countries... back in the air