You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

LH's JACDEC Ranking Tanks After A319 Writeoff

All about Airlines and Airliners.

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 02 Jan 20, 21:05Post
Did you know that LH had to write off an A319 following an accident in 2019? I sure didn't.

The new JACDEC airline safety ratings are out, and I was surprised to see LH's ranking having tanked to #65. The reason is said write-off incident in Frankfurt on 30 July 2019, involving their A319 D-AILR and some mobile air stairs vehicle, piloted by someone who is probably jobless now.

The aircraft was a write-off, and as passengers were on board when the accident happened, this killed the airline's safety ranking. Which seems a bit tough to me, unless that air stairs vehicle was operated by LH crew, and not FRAPORT crew.

I had never heard of that incident, and after some digging, found this video:

https://twitter.com/AeronewsGlobal/stat ... 0782813184

Yikes! How did that not go viral? {bugeye}
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 02 Jan 20, 21:44Post
WOW! That's one heck of a ramming.

I agree, though, that this seems like a dumb way to apply the safety ranking.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 02 Jan 20, 22:44Post
I do recall this one but had to do a little digging to see the extent of the damage. Looks like the rear two fuselage sections sustained torsional damage and there was physical damage to the vertical stab, tail cone and APU. Definitely beyond economical repair in the case of a high cycle 22 year old A319. I could work out the exact cost of supplying spares and miamiair could tell you how much it's going to cost you in man hours to put it all right but it's definitely beer cans.

The aircraft had recently been re-engined, so those were immediately removed for use elsewhere.

https://www.aerotelegraph.com/nach-koll ... r-am-boden
A million great ideas...
Braniff747SP 04 Jan 20, 19:28Post
Zak wrote:
The new JACDEC airline safety ratings are out, and I was surprised to see LH's ranking having tanked to #65. The reason is said write-off incident in Frankfurt on 30 July 2019, involving their A319 D-AILR and some mobile air stairs vehicle, piloted by someone who is probably jobless now.

This is a good way to show just how idiotic these types of rankings are.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 04 Jan 20, 19:59Post
From the UK AAIB:

"Accident" means an occurrence associated with the operation of an aircraft which, in the case of a manned aircraft, takes place between the time any person boards the aircraft with the intention of flight and such time as all such persons have disembarked [...] in which:

[...] the aircraft sustains damage or structural failure which adversely affects the structural strength, performance or flight characteristics of the aircraft, and would normally require major repair or replacement of the affected component

By that definition, this write-off was indeed an accident. Do I still think LH is getting shafted here? Yep.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
airtrainer 05 Jan 20, 14:49Post
I'm surprised nobody has said "oh, if it was a Boeing..."
Grounded...