You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Boeing Suspends 737 MAX Production

All about Airlines and Airliners.

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 Jan 20, 22:39Post
Some more issues with the MAX. Delivery will be delayed further.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/boeing-pushes-back-expected-max-return-11579637428

https://www.wsj.com/articles/boeing-finds-new-software-problem-that-could-complicate-737-max-return-11579290347

I think that Boeing screwed the pooch with the Max debacle (which I indicated in the crash thread early on), but I also think that cries of "no one will ever fly on it" are wrong. It's fun to make a stink, and I imagine that people will quickly forget about all of this once it's out of re-cert hell.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 22 Jan 20, 00:22Post
Most pax have no clue what plane they are flying on. So yeah, that won't be Boeing's biggest concern.

The new delay with re-certification was caused by a new software problem that has recently been discovered. A few months ago, I read that Boeing had outsourced the development of critical software to India, using a provider that was considered cheap even for Indian standards.

The 737 MAX debacle, the quality problems around the 787 and now the 767 tanker (tools and items being forgotten inside the aircraft before delivery) and the delays with the 777-X paint a picture of a corporation with a pretty rotten company culture.

If Boeing doesn't get that turned around soon - and that will be one heck of a challenge - I wouldn't bet on their survival in the "big two" race anymore. While I'd still consider them too big to fail (and too important for national strategic interests), I also would not have expected their problems to ever reach the magnitude they have reached by now.

For decades, there was no chance for a plane maker to seriously challenge the Airbus-Boeing duopol. In the regional jet segment, Embraer and Bombardier came close, but in the end, they both lost their independence.

Now, all of a sudden, there is a new opportunity for people with a vision and the ability to attract a lot of investor money. Highly qualified employees and suppliers of vital components may suddenly become interested in new offers that they would never have considered a year ago.

I'd be very surprised if there weren't at least a few "visionary billionaire" types thinking about what to do with that new situation. It will be interesting to watch if there will be new names and concepts popping up in the industry soon.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 23 Jan 20, 13:51Post
Ummm hmmm... Just as I thought. Back in "Ethiopian B737 MAX 8 Crashes On Departure" thread on April 8, 2019...

Queso wrote:You have to be thinking about the financial side of this as well... If the airlines aren't taking delivery, they likely aren't making lease/purchase payments, leasing companies aren't receiving lease payments and aren't making purchase payments, Boeing still has to make payments on the materials they are using to build the planes, the transportation getting them to final assembly, they still have to pay their employees, they still have to pay for electricity and other utilities, rent, taxes, etc...

This has to be a HUGE cash flow problem for them, even as capitalized as they may be. How long can this go on? It's not like not getting paid during development and testing of 3 or 4 new planes, we're potentially talking about 100+ airliners sitting around not making money before there's any foreseeable money coming in for them.

Edit: And that's not even considering any penalty payments for planes already delivered not being able to be in service.

Zak wrote:I obviously don't have any figures at hand, but I don't think cash flow will be an issue for Boeing. Few companies will find it easier to get more cash when they need it. With market interest rates being as low as they still are, it won't even cost Boeing a lot of money.

To put things into perspective, Boeing shares are still higher than the day before the Lion Air crash.

Boeing will be able to cope with the short-term fallout of the MAX situation. For me, the more interesting part is the awkward decision-making processes that the whole situation unveiled.

It bears some resemblance to the current situation German car makers are in. It doesn't matter for how long you've been a champion in your market. When your decision makers begin to fail (usually a result of hubris and greed), your company is heading into a dangerous direction.

It will be interesting to see if Boeing really learned a lesson here.

And now? https://www.aerotime.aero/rytis.beresne ... rrow-money

Boeing looking to borrow $10 billion: reports

As the groundings of the 737 MAX continue and cash reserves are draining at Boeing due to the fact that production is still running on other aircraft programs, the company is reportedly seeking to borrow $10 billion or more, according to reports by Reuters, citing sources close to the matter.

Just before the company announced its Q2 2019 financial results in July 2019, it took a $4.9 billion charge, citing “potential concessions and other considerations to customers for disruptions related to the 737 MAX grounding and associated delivery delays.” However, more unhappy customers are lining up to claim compensation from the manufacturer due to the prolonged grounding, including American Airlines and Southwest Airlines, two long-standing customers of Boeing.
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Jan 20, 22:35Post
Queso wrote:Ummm hmmm... Just as I thought. Back in "Ethiopian B737 MAX 8 Crashes On Departure" thread on April 8, 2019...

Queso wrote:You have to be thinking about the financial side of this as well... If the airlines aren't taking delivery, they likely aren't making lease/purchase payments, leasing companies aren't receiving lease payments and aren't making purchase payments, Boeing still has to make payments on the materials they are using to build the planes, the transportation getting them to final assembly, they still have to pay their employees, they still have to pay for electricity and other utilities, rent, taxes, etc...

This has to be a HUGE cash flow problem for them, even as capitalized as they may be. How long can this go on? It's not like not getting paid during development and testing of 3 or 4 new planes, we're potentially talking about 100+ airliners sitting around not making money before there's any foreseeable money coming in for them.

Edit: And that's not even considering any penalty payments for planes already delivered not being able to be in service.

Zak wrote:I obviously don't have any figures at hand, but I don't think cash flow will be an issue for Boeing. Few companies will find it easier to get more cash when they need it. With market interest rates being as low as they still are, it won't even cost Boeing a lot of money.

To put things into perspective, Boeing shares are still higher than the day before the Lion Air crash.

Boeing will be able to cope with the short-term fallout of the MAX situation. For me, the more interesting part is the awkward decision-making processes that the whole situation unveiled.

It bears some resemblance to the current situation German car makers are in. It doesn't matter for how long you've been a champion in your market. When your decision makers begin to fail (usually a result of hubris and greed), your company is heading into a dangerous direction.

It will be interesting to see if Boeing really learned a lesson here.

And now? https://www.aerotime.aero/rytis.beresne ... rrow-money

Boeing looking to borrow $10 billion: reports

As the groundings of the 737 MAX continue and cash reserves are draining at Boeing due to the fact that production is still running on other aircraft programs, the company is reportedly seeking to borrow $10 billion or more, according to reports by Reuters, citing sources close to the matter.

Just before the company announced its Q2 2019 financial results in July 2019, it took a $4.9 billion charge, citing “potential concessions and other considerations to customers for disruptions related to the 737 MAX grounding and associated delivery delays.” However, more unhappy customers are lining up to claim compensation from the manufacturer due to the prolonged grounding, including American Airlines and Southwest Airlines, two long-standing customers of Boeing.

I personally didn't think that this would have any impact on their finances in any severe manner.

Although I guess their situation is a bit dumber than I realized. https://wolfstreet.com/2020/01/20/after-blowing-43-bn-on-share-buybacks-in-6-years-boeing-scrambles-to-borrow-10-bn-on-top-of-the-9-5-bn-credit-line-it-got-in-oct-to-fund-the-surging-costs-of-its-737-max-fiasco/

But I don't think anything bad would be allowed to happen to them. National security and all.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 19 Feb 20, 08:32Post
And the hits just keep onnn comin'...

Boeing's crisis-hit 737 Max jetliner faces a new potential safety issue as debris has been found in the fuel tanks of several new planes which were in storage, awaiting delivery to airlines.

The head of Boeing's 737 programme has told employees that the discovery was "absolutely unacceptable".

A Boeing spokesman said the company did not see the issue further delaying the jet's return to service.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51499777
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 19 Feb 20, 16:30Post
I'm writing a novel-

Titled-

"When Accouting Designs and Makes an Airliner"

Foreword by-

"Not enough senior engineers around to just say no."
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 Feb 20, 16:45Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:And the hits just keep onnn comin'...

A quick-release fitting from a windy gun and some of those plastic snap-offs you get on syringes of two-part epoxy is the story I heard. Not really Boeing's fault that they were there in the first place but not good that they weren't originally picked up by quality. I see some hastily arranged retraining in the near future of Boeing's blue coats.

It's worth pointing out that this in no way unique. I've personally seen half a pack of low-linting wipes lodged in the intake of a shiny new Eurofighter Typhoon and there are many similar stories, including the newly converted JStars that was w/o by a half inch socket. Still, not what Boeing need while they're under the microscope.
A million great ideas...