You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Retiring/Retired Airframes

All about Airlines and Airliners.

JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Jan 18, 22:19Post
mhodgson wrote:Interesting - CI is quite a young fleet member compared to a lot of the ones delivered directly to BA. Probably low on cycles too as bmi parked them up every weekend to let the F100s and ERJs do all the short haul work :))

She's had a couple of incidents including one landing with the parking brake engaged. It's quite possible that BA engineering have identified CI as a bit of a pup. Either that or the low cycles make it more saleable and they're cashing in the valuable frames now and working the scrappers to the last minute before parking them (not uncommon for BA).
A million great ideas...
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 05 Feb 18, 18:27Post
In a reversal of the usual, VS are in the process of pulling 3 A346s from long-term storage at LDE. G-VNAP is now airworthy and is at MAN for a full respray at Air Livery after nearly 3 years spent mothballed.
A million great ideas...
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 05 Feb 18, 20:16Post
Ah, didn't realise it was from storage though it does explain the Lufthansa-esque scheme it arrived in today :))

Dear aviation Gods - any chance of it running the VS109 on Wednesday? :))
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 05 Feb 18, 21:17Post
mhodgson wrote:Ah, didn't realise it was from storage though it does explain the Lufthansa-esque scheme it arrived in today :))

Airbus techs got her ferry-able at LDE around new year. She's been at Virgin Engineering at LGW for the past month and flew up to MAN earlier today for paint and some interior electrics (presumably IFE). I believe two others are coming from SFB. Perhaps LH got their inspiration from the blanked out branding at various storage facilities ;)

mhodgson wrote:Dear aviation Gods - any chance of it running the VS109 on Wednesday? :))

If only! It's an A333 for you, G-VSXY if you're lucky.
A million great ideas...
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 05 Feb 18, 21:28Post
Just glad it isn't one of the ex-AB ones; booked in Y+!
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 05 Feb 18, 22:09Post
JLAmber wrote:In a reversal of the usual, VS are in the process of pulling 3 A346s from long-term storage at LDE. G-VNAP is now airworthy and is at MAN for a full respray at Air Livery after nearly 3 years spent mothballed.

Sweet! Anything except CRJs coming back is good news, but 4-holers especially so.

Now that I think about it, for all the times I've been through LHR lately I don't think I've ever seen an A346 in the new paint. {scratch}
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 05 Feb 18, 22:20Post
G-VEIL had it back when the 'new' livery was new - but seems to be one of the airframes sent for store. See also VATL (now with Mahan Air!).
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 13 Feb 18, 09:41Post
JLAmber wrote:In a reversal of the usual, VS are in the process of pulling 3 A346s from long-term storage at LDE. G-VNAP is now airworthy and is at MAN for a full respray at Air Livery after nearly 3 years spent mothballed.

Sleeping Beauty Rejuvenated: https://blog.virginatlantic.com/sleepin ... ck-g-vnap/
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
NCoats737 20 Mar 18, 08:06Post

Off to pasture, the last 737-400 in the AS fleet, in PAE for decommissioning.
Beat it to fit, paint it to match.
md88dawg 22 Mar 18, 23:13Post
Sniff, sniff, today we bid farewell to N923DL as she departed for SBD:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N92 ... /KATL/KSBD

md88dawg 23 Mar 18, 05:06Post
Sadly, N961DN will be heading out to SBD from MSP, joining N923DL.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL ... /KMSP/KSBD
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 23 Mar 18, 13:19Post
Strange (maybe) that they're axing a MD-90 already...though I suppose the first airframes are at least 25 years old.

We just flew on an MD-90 (and two MD-95s ;) )...seemed in excellent shape. Had the new DL interior even... *shrugs
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Mar 18, 05:40Post
Recently picked a 772 instead of an MD-95. Kicking myself.
md88dawg 03 May 18, 02:26Post
A little late, but G-VWIN ferried directly from KATL to KTUP: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/GVW ... /KATL/KTUP

That must have been a nice rotation to see on an A346! :))

G-VWIN at Atlanta - Hartsfield-Jackson International
by Ashley Askew on netAirspace.com
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 04 May 18, 11:44Post
md88dawg wrote:ferried directly from KATL to KTUP

Why KTUP?
Rack-em'. I'm getting a beer.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 04 May 18, 12:55Post
ORFflyer wrote:
md88dawg wrote:ferried directly from KATL to KTUP

Why KTUP?

Tupelo, MS is where Universal Asset Management does its teardowns/part-outs.

https://www.uaminc.com/

https://www.uaminc.com/disassembly
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 04 May 18, 13:05Post
Rumors elsewhere that this bird may get a second chance at life.
ORFflyer (Founding Member) 09 May 18, 17:47Post
miamiair wrote:Tupelo, MS is where Universal Asset Management does its teardowns/part-outs.

{thumbsup} Thanks!
Rack-em'. I'm getting a beer.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 14 Jun 18, 15:01Post
After a 43 year career, N395AJ is taking its final flight to SEF, bringing to an end 727 operations for Amerijet.

A million great ideas...
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 14 Jun 18, 16:25Post
The venerable 727 is all but gone in the Western Hemisphere now it seems...
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
md88dawg 15 Jun 18, 04:27Post
I was very happy she made an appearance during FLAP18. Such an iconic sight at MIA and SXM, to name a few, that will never been seen again.

JLAmber wrote:After a 43 year career, N395AJ is taking its final flight to SEF, bringing to an end 727 operations for Amerijet.

md88dawg 08 Jul 18, 02:27Post
Sadly, the DL fleet is minus another MD-88 today as N918DL flew off to SBD. {vsad}

N918DL at Atlanta - Hartsfield-Jackson International
by MD11SPOTTER on netAirspace.com
Attachments
sc.png
sc.png (176.74 KiB) Viewed 5737 times
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 09 Jul 18, 03:15Post
Piedmont (aka Henson) flew it's last Dash 8 flight on 4 July 2018. They made a tribute video:

Make Orwell fiction again.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 19 Sep 18, 12:01Post
Royal Air Maroc become the latest airline to say goodbye to the 747 yesterday when they parked their final 744, CN-RGA.

A million great ideas...
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 12 Nov 18, 22:21Post
Joining the ranks of the permanently grounded at OSC is Allegiant MD-82 N886GA. G4 have accelerated the retirement of their Mad Dogs and will retire one a day until the end of November when the last will leave the fleet, citing "Snowballing reliability issues" for the move. Their acquisition of the SAS MD fleet will go down as one of the shrewdest moves in recent aviation history. Less than $4m down per airframe down & a virtually unlimited stock of spares for a fleet that ran for 8-9 years will not be repeated.

An interesting side note: Zak's shot of N886GA features TS A310 C-GTSY, which will also be grounded in the next few weeks:

A million great ideas...