You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Retiring/Retired Airframes

All about Airlines and Airliners.

md88dawg 01 Nov 16, 01:28Post
Is there a thread where we can list airplanes as they retire or are imminently retiring? If not, we could start listing those here in this thread, along with links to their final flights if available.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 01 Nov 16, 08:26Post
No there isn't until now. Excellent idea. Post away.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
md88dawg 02 Nov 16, 03:22Post
Halloween was not a good day for three of DL's airframes.

N139DL, a 1992-built 767-332, was retired to BYH from ATL on Halloween day. This was the 767 with the United Way stickers, unfortunately: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n139dl

Also on Halloween day, N136DL (1991-built 767-332) ferried from SAN to MZJ: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/dl9933

Sadly, another 747-451 has gone to the desert, N673US (1999-build) ferried from SEA to MZJ: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/dl9974
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 02 Nov 16, 08:10Post
Great thread! I'll add a little tribute:

md88dawg wrote:N139DL, a 1992-built 767-332, was retired to BYH from ATL on Halloween day. This was the 767 with the United Way stickers, unfortunately:

md88dawg wrote:Also on Halloween day, N136DL (1991-built 767-332) ferried from SAN to MZJ:

md88dawg wrote:Sadly, another 747-451 has gone to the desert, N673US (1999-build) ferried from SEA to MZJ:

In old NWA colours.

In DL colours.

Onboard shot, approaching Nagoya.

17 years... not really that old, this bird.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 02 Nov 16, 09:38Post
A few additions from October:

Swiss retired their "Zurich Shopper" Avro (HB-IYS).

Tarom retired their last A310, YR-LCB:

Iberia retired their A340-300:

And Emirates are currently retiring their A330, A340-300 and 777-200 (non-LR):

Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 02 Nov 16, 10:47Post
Great thread! Great idea! {thumbsup}
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 02 Nov 16, 13:07Post
There was of course CX 747-467 B-HUI, CX's final pax 747 which spent the weekend parked at MAN before flying to Bruntingthorpe on Monday to be parted out.

Then there were the last LH 737s, D-ABEC being the very last to carry pax for LH.

Jet2 continue their fleet renewal with the retirement of more 733s. 737-377QC G-CELZ (my ride on 11 occasions) was sent to Kemble this weekend where it will be scrapped, while 737-377 G-CELS was sent to Norwich to serve as a ground training aircraft for trainee crew.

Now is the time to bag one last 733 ride as they're disappearing fast.
A million great ideas...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 02 Nov 16, 13:34Post
JLAmber wrote:Now is the time to bag one last 733 ride as they're disappearing fast.

No thanks {boxed}
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 27 Nov 16, 19:31Post
Fry's 747SP N747A 'Clipper America' has been sold and sent to Mojave where it will almost certainly be cut up for scrap. Significantly N747A was the last former Pan Am airliner still flying.

https://travelforaircraft.wordpress.com ... ave-write/

A million great ideas...
md88dawg 27 Nov 16, 22:45Post
That's a shame to see this going to the desert. :( I have yet to see a 747SP.

JLAmber wrote:Fry's 747SP N747A 'Clipper America' has been sold and sent to Mojave where it will almost certainly be cut up for scrap. Significantly N747A was the last former Pan Am airliner still flying.

https://travelforaircraft.wordpress.com ... ave-write/

Braniff747SP 30 Nov 16, 00:43Post
JLAmber wrote:Significantly N747A was the last former Pan Am airliner still flying.

More importantly, 'tis my namesake...

747sp.com claims it was bought by NASA. Can't find any information on that, though, anywhere else.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 30 Nov 16, 11:56Post
md88dawg wrote:That's a shame to see this going to the desert. :( I have yet to see a 747SP.

HAM see them infrequently as they use LH Technik there. We used to see Iran's SPs at LHR but I think they're all grounded now after their last SP was found to have severe corrosion recently.

Braniff747SP wrote:747sp.com claims it was bought by NASA. Can't find any information on that, though, anywhere else.

A donor aircraft to keep SOFIA flying possibly? It would make sense.
A million great ideas...
bhmbaglock 30 Nov 16, 14:17Post
JLAmber wrote:
md88dawg wrote:That's a shame to see this going to the desert. :( I have yet to see a 747SP.

HAM see them infrequently as they use LH Technik there. We used to see Iran's SPs at LHR but I think they're all grounded now after their last SP was found to have severe corrosion recently.

Braniff747SP wrote:747sp.com claims it was bought by NASA. Can't find any information on that, though, anywhere else.

A donor aircraft to keep SOFIA flying possibly? It would make sense.

Yes, it's a contingent sale based on results of an inspection.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 30 Nov 16, 14:35Post
JLAmber wrote:HAM see them infrequently as they use LH Technik there.

Not even that infrequently, we used to have an SP here every other month.

But they do indeed get more infrequent. The last one we saw was the Omani Government SP, that visited us in May.

JLAmber wrote:We used to see Iran's SPs at LHR but I think they're all grounded now after their last SP was found to have severe corrosion recently.

Indeed, they are, and they have been banned from Europe for quite a while longer already.

IR flew the SP to HAM between 2007 and July 2010. Before that, they already had been banned in Europe for another few years.

I will never forget my first SP sighting in HAM on 01 Mar 2007. {cheerful}

md88dawg 02 Dec 16, 05:19Post
The DL fleet is down another Queen of the Skies, as N665US took her last flight down to MZJ from DTW: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N665US/history/20161201/1400Z/KDTW/KMZJ

I believe this was the first 747 to be repainted into DL colors, done at VCV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqZKpCJEqNE

N665US at New York - John F. Kennedy International
by rcollazo on netAirspace.com
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 05 Dec 16, 13:24Post
BA 763 G-BZHC is now parked at CWL awaiting her fate. A pair of BA 744s have been brought back from being prepared for retirement in the last week but there's unlikely to be any way back for the 763s.

A million great ideas...
md88dawg 25 Jan 17, 02:31Post
Another Lufthansa Cargo MD-11F (D-ALCM) has joined the sandbox that is VCV by way of EZE.

Yokes 25 Jan 17, 20:10Post
md88dawg wrote:Another Lufthansa Cargo MD-11F (D-ALCM) has joined the sandbox that is VCV by way of EZE.

Hm, this is second last MD11 built, wondering why they store this airframe and not one of the older ones.

Good news: Ex Martinair MD11 PH-MCU will join Fed Ex fleet as N68091.

JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 25 Jan 17, 21:21Post
Yokes wrote:Hm, this is second last MD11 built, wondering why they store this airframe and not one of the older ones.

Had a substantial bump when the nose wheel separated from the gear in November: http://avherald.com/h?article=4a0932c9 Perhaps the damage is significant enough that the aircraft is less viable than older frames.
A million great ideas...
md88dawg 26 Jan 17, 03:13Post
Wow, I had no idea that had happened to D-ALCM. I read on another forum that she may be getting repairs in VCV. It will be interesting to see whether they decide to fix her or if she is indeed going into storage/scrapping.

JLAmber wrote:
Yokes wrote:Hm, this is second last MD11 built, wondering why they store this airframe and not one of the older ones.

Had a substantial bump when the nose wheel separated from the gear in November: http://avherald.com/h?article=4a0932c9 Perhaps the damage is significant enough that the aircraft is less viable than older frames.
TP80 26 Jan 17, 14:50Post
The first A340-600 from Lufthansa D-AIHM reached his ?final? destination Marana(MZJ) on January 24th. Official status is stored. This plane is only 10 years old....

JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 26 Jan 17, 15:56Post
TP80 wrote:The first A340-600 from Lufthansa D-AIHM reached his ?final? destination Marana(MZJ) on January 24th. Official status is stored. This plane is only 10 years old....

Looks like the A346 fleet are scheduled to retire frame for frame in a straight swap with the incoming A359s. Can't see a market for them as flying frames and they may not even be viable as spares when you consider LH Technik already have 5 ex-China Eastern frames for that purpose.

United have announced their 744 fleet will all be gone by Nov. 2017, a year earlier than initially planned. N197UA is the latest to leave the fleet, parking up at VCV last week.

A million great ideas...
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 26 Jan 17, 21:14Post
JLAmber wrote:United have announced their 744 fleet will all be gone by Nov. 2017, a year earlier than initially planned. N197UA is the latest to leave the fleet, parking up at VCV last week.

Better fly a 747 while we still can ladies and gentlemen, their days of hauling pax, at least in the US, is rapidly drawing to a close.

Nothing better than SFO-HNL on the upper deck of a US 74 . . . . . or FRA-ORD in the same spot.

Gonna miss that.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
IFEMaster (Project Dark Overlord & Founding Member) 31 Jan 17, 23:42Post
ANCFlyer wrote:Better fly a 747 while we still can ladies and gentlemen, their days of hauling pax, at least in the US, is rapidly drawing to a close.

Indeed. Since BA and VS stopped using 744's out of LAX, I have to get creative if I want to ride a 74 to London. I've got a trip coming up next month, though. Taking a VX red eye to JFK, then the day-time eastbound BA 744 to LHR. I've never done a daytime eastbound TATL flight either, so that's an added bonus.
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein
cornish (Certified Expert - Aviation Economics & Founding Member) 02 Feb 17, 10:03Post
There's quite a few significant fleet retirements happening this year across a number of airlines.

Finnair have just phased out the A340

Cathay will do the same with their A340s in April.

Swiss have announced they will finish Avro RJ operations in August (last service is planned into LCY) as more C-Series get delivered.

KLM will finish F70 (and therefore all Fokker) operations in the autumn.