You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

What's Flying Over You Part Deux

All about Airlines and Airliners.

Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 10 Feb 15, 18:59Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Finnair OH-LXD headed to Rovaniemi. Look down, see it on FR24. Look up, see it for real. I get way too much of a kick out of that.

It's an even better feeling when you see your own ADS-B receiver data showing up on Flight Aware, then looking up at the aircraft you're receiving it from. :))
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 16 Feb 15, 15:25Post
Tracking two 787's simultaneously for the first time so far on my ADS-B receiver. UA1761 (IAH-SFO) and AA9772 (DFW-ELP), that one is a training flight for AA pilots. They've been flying around MAF in the last few days but it's cloudy here now and I guess they wanted to see the scenery as they were flying approaches. :))
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 16 Feb 15, 18:21Post
It's flying around MAF now.

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (301.65 KiB) Viewed 5083 times
vikkyvik 16 Feb 15, 20:17Post
Eating lunch with a coworker 30 minutes ago, sitting outside right about here:

http://goo.gl/maps/4xZyG

Typical SNA traffic passing directly overhead - a few business jets with the occasional 737 or A320.

So then one slightly louder airplane is approaching. I look up, it's a UA 752. No big deal, we see those fairly often. It passes, the sound diminishes. Then about 15 seconds later, start to hear a softer jet-engine noise from above. Look up, there are no aircraft headed for LGB in the sky. So that's the vortices from the 752. I say to my coworker, "those are the wingtip vortices". He says "really? No kidding!" Sound gets louder, then pretty rapidly diminishes, probably about 30 seconds after the aircraft passed. A second later, our napkins and such get blown off the table. Coworker is mighty impressed. Good old 752s.

I don't care what anyone says - that is always one of the coolest things to happen when airplanes pass overhead.
gkirk 27 Feb 15, 13:32Post
Cavok Air Antonov74 outbound from PIK heading towards the south east
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 10 Mar 15, 09:42Post
I just discovered that this bird's sister ship SE-JRF shows up on FR24:

It's currently doing a weird-looking hold about 10km south-east of here. Waiting to see whether it comes to the hospital, and if so whether it's still on FR24 when it does. Weather is crap today, but I'll know for another time.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 12 Mar 15, 10:17Post
Crystal clear day. Something way up there that doesn't show on FR24. Speedbird 8's somewhere over Kajaani, I think I can make out the contrail very low on the horizon.

And the helimed doing long lazy circles in between approaches to 12 at OUL. Nice day for a jolly *ahem* "training flight". It went past my window earlier, but didn't stop. Had my coat on and camera bag over my shoulder, too... Keeping FR24 open in case it does decide to pop in.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Mar 15, 17:00Post
Just had KLM255 AMS-ATL A332 pass overhead and it sounded like they'd replaced one of the engines with my old washing machine! I recall somebody else mentioning the KL 332s heading to South America also make a lot of noise, any ideas why?
A million great ideas...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 14 Mar 15, 11:18Post
I'll tell you what's NOT flying over me: JTG965 OUL-TFS. Scheduled departure 0755, currently showing "New Info At 1700". And there's nothing to do in OUL but drink. That'll be messy. I once saw two Finnair birds (one of them mine) eat a 4-hour delay due to snow in HEL, and the natives very nearly drank the airport dry.

I've often wondered about this. Does "New info at" mean "Nothing is going to happen till then, so you can go into town or whatever"? Or are you meant to sit there?
halls120 (Plank Owner) 15 Mar 15, 20:05Post
Sitting outside an hour ago cleaning the headlights of MsHalls120's car, I looked up and saw BA 217, flying low as it made the turn north for IAD. When you see an A380 turn, you realize just how huge the wings are.
At home in the PNW and loving it
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Mar 15, 13:17Post
Well, this is fun . . .

Moved from Alaska to Illinois, and here we are, sitting under one of the approaches to ORD. Can't beat that. I can get up early and watch the Asian arrivals on Flightaware and catch them over Wonder Lake . . . .

Not too shabby.

Wonder what the air traffic will be like in EYW.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
vikkyvik 16 Mar 15, 15:39Post
Driving home from work the other day on the 405, passing LGB, an FX A300 passed 200 feet overhead right above my car. Beautiful view through the sunroof.

I've been waiting a long time for that to happen at LGB.
Nosedive 16 Mar 15, 20:38Post
This past week, Proteus, some F18s, and a 190. In the spirit of trolling Graphic, I captured none of them.
bhmbaglock 16 Mar 15, 22:08Post
ANCFlyer wrote:Well, this is fun . . .

Moved from Alaska to Illinois, and here we are, sitting under one of the approaches to ORD. Can't beat that. I can get up early and watch the Asian arrivals on Flightaware and catch them over Wonder Lake . . . .

Not too shabby.

Wonder what the air traffic will be like in EYW.

Heading to EYW anytime soon?
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 16 Mar 15, 22:09Post
Turns out that Airtrainer's flight from MAN-MUC last Wednesday passed directly overhead my home.

Aside from that, not a lot right now.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
JeffSFO (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 16 Mar 15, 23:21Post
vikkyvik wrote:Driving home from work the other day on the 405, passing LGB, an FX A300 passed 200 feet overhead right above my car. Beautiful view through the sunroof.

I've been waiting a long time for that to happen at LGB.

{thumbsup}

Had the same thing happen on 101 with a BA 744 departing SFO. Scared the hell out of me at first because this incredible sound came out of nowhere but then I looked up and smiled.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 18 Mar 15, 11:18Post
A guy at the fence yesterday told me that the Finnish Air Force were at OUL last week ( {hissy} ) and that they were practising in-flight refuelling.

Judging from the contrails I can see right now, they're at it again. Don't know whose tanker they're using.
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 23 Mar 15, 02:03Post
A lot of racing company aircraft. Two Saab 2000s from Hendrick, two ERJs from Earnhardt, and a CRJ from Stewart-Haas
Make Orwell fiction again.
kmh1956 (Founding Member) 23 Mar 15, 02:13Post
Apparently a Condor 767 on its way to FRA..though not overhead...slightly south...
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 25 Mar 15, 12:26Post
A US-registered Cirrus SR-22 has been in and out of BLK for the last week. No idea why, but he seems to be drawing pictures on FR24 with his routes. Any guesses on what he's trying to draw here?:

cirrusdrawing.png
cirrusdrawing.png (377.75 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
A million great ideas...
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 25 Mar 15, 13:10Post
JLAmber wrote:A US-registered Cirrus SR-22 has been in and out of BLK for the last week. No idea why, but he seems to be drawing pictures on FR24 with his routes. Any guesses on what he's trying to draw here?:

Jeremy Clarkson is back from his Florida trip? :))
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
vikkyvik 26 Mar 15, 19:05Post
Driving to lunch a half hour ago. Two CH-46 Sea Knights lifted off and circled away south from the former MCAS Tustin. At least, that's where they appeared to be lifting off from.

As per usual, I suppose they could have been Chinooks, but I think they were Sea Knights.
CALTECH 26 Mar 15, 19:20Post
vikkyvik wrote:So then one slightly louder airplane is approaching. I look up, it's a UA 752. No big deal, we see those fairly often. It passes, the sound diminishes. Then about 15 seconds later, start to hear a softer jet-engine noise from above. Look up, there are no aircraft headed for LGB in the sky. So that's the vortices from the 752. I say to my coworker, "those are the wingtip vortices". He says "really? No kidding!" Sound gets louder, then pretty rapidly diminishes, probably about 30 seconds after the aircraft passed. A second later, our napkins and such get blown off the table. Coworker is mighty impressed. Good old 752s.

I don't care what anyone says - that is always one of the coolest things to happen when airplanes pass overhead.

Loved hearing those vortices in MCO years ago, north end of 18L/R arrivals. Pretty loud little tornados.

Was it a UAL757 with or without Winglets ? Imagine the winglets would cut them down a bit, but the ones coming off the flaps should still be there.
vikkyvik 26 Mar 15, 19:59Post
CALTECH wrote:Was it a UAL757 with or without Winglets ? Imagine the winglets would cut them down a bit, but the ones coming off the flaps should still be there.

You know, I don't remember. I think it had winglets.

But winglets or no, the whole wing is generating a vorticity anyway.

I'm used to hearing/seeing them at LAX, where the aircraft are 100-150 feet up. This was really cool because the aircraft was at, oh, 400-500 feet or so.
bhmbaglock 26 Mar 15, 20:03Post
vikkyvik wrote:Driving to lunch a half hour ago. Two CH-46 Sea Knights lifted off and circled away south from the former MCAS Tustin. At least, that's where they appeared to be lifting off from.

As per usual, I suppose they could have been Chinooks, but I think they were Sea Knights.

Easy to tell the difference, sponsons are almost full length on the Chinook ( ~ 75%) but not much more than fairings for the rear landing gear on the CH-46. Also, CH-46 has only a single nose gear vs two for the Chinook.