You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

What's Flying Over You Part Deux

All about Airlines and Airliners.

mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 14 Nov 14, 14:20Post
Currently watching a PA44 and a JS31 out of Warton flying around Morecambe Bay - testing out remote control flight I believe.
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 14 Nov 14, 14:33Post
AFR6, A380 directly overhead and visible with slightly clearer skies! Also seems to be a filming helicopter lurking over Oldham now which practically flew right by my window an hour or so ago.
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 18 Nov 14, 21:07Post
4 B-52's are doing laps at the moment
bhmbaglock 18 Nov 14, 23:02Post
Kind of fun having your own live flight tracker. It's great for finding military and unlisted private flights compared to regular FlightAware, etc.

Being close to BHM, I see lots of ATL and MEM traffic - scads of DC-10s and MD-11s for Fedex in particular. Not surprising of course.

A couple surprises though. I see lots of traffic to and from MEX passing close by.

Today, AA12 flying LAX-JFK just passed overhead. Odd routing for that one. It's one of the true F A321 flights.

If you want to play with a Flight Tracker and haven't seen my posts on this yet, see viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20208
bhmbaglock 18 Nov 14, 23:17Post
Just noticed that AA12 must be getting a major tailwind, currently 612 kts. That explains the routing.
bhmbaglock 20 Nov 14, 18:15Post
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 09 Dec 14, 19:19Post
bhmbaglock wrote:Rendition flight maybe.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2006 ... combatants

Interesting side note on that article. When it was published in the paper version of the newspaper, the Tribune used my photo:

Yes, I was paid for it. No, I didn't get visited by anyone in suits afterwards. ;)
Make Orwell fiction again.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 09 Dec 14, 21:02Post
That airplane could be doing just about anything...the pilots might even be armed! {laugh}
bhmbaglock 09 Dec 14, 22:04Post
ShyFlyer wrote:
bhmbaglock wrote:Rendition flight maybe.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2006 ... combatants

Interesting side note on that article. When it was published in the paper version of the newspaper, the Tribune used my photo:

Yes, I was paid for it. No, I didn't get visited by anyone in suits afterwards. ;)

All together now, "It's a small world, ....."
bhmbaglock 10 Dec 14, 15:07Post
I was just taking a look at the live tracking again and picked up a RAAF flight and the AU Citation probably headed back from a recruiting trip. Both are blocked from normal flight trackers, fun to be able to see such.
bhmbaglock 12 Dec 14, 19:51Post
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 20 Dec 14, 17:26Post
Not quite over me but a bit above me in latitude, the annual Santa rush at Rovaniemi is in full swing, with a seasonally-callsigned BA A319 and 320 headed for LGW:

rvn.png
rvn.png (187.84 KiB) Viewed 5232 times

The other one's G-GATK, which I think is one of their "new" clapped-out A320s.

An Eidelweiss for ZRH popped up after I took the screenshot.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 20 Dec 14, 17:38Post
Mmm, Ex. Wizz. Probably a few miles on the clock!
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 29 Dec 14, 14:48Post
Yamal Airlines out of RVN just past east of here on its way back to... wherever it came from this morning, which I can't remember.

Need a Y for my Alphabet Soup achievement, too. {grumpy}
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 19 Jan 15, 12:33Post
OH-LXD out of RVN for HEL, right over the building, still climbing through FL320 and streaming contrails.

One of those perfect winter days where you should be at the airport, with the sun barely coming up and a lovely orange light, pink in the sky and not a hint of a cloud.

I'm going later - but after dark, to meet a colleague. Boss is picking his daughter up off the same flight, as it happens.
vikkyvik 24 Jan 15, 06:34Post
Well this was interesting.

So a normal 20 minutes of watching traffic fly over work on final approach to SNA goes something like this:

AA 738
WN 73G
AA 738
UA 319
DL 738
AA 738
Oooo, WN new colors....oh wait, I hate WN's new colors
AA 738
UA.....is it a 752??!! Nope, just a 738
WN 73G
AA 738
etc, etc, rinse, repeat....

So anyway, I was leaving work tonight, well after sunset. Turn out of the parking lot, down the street, stop at a stop sign. As I glance to my right, I see lights in the sky. They seem...odd. So anyway, my turn, so I turn right. There are some lights heading right over me that are either way lower or way larger than the typical traffic. I nearly strain a back muscle looking out the windshield and then up through the sunroof as it flies directly over. And yep, that's not a normal SNA aircraft - that's a C-17.

Like the 787, they never quite look that large until they fly right over your head.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Jan 15, 06:52Post
I watched a Qantas flight go over Cheyenne while I was at work, and looked at it with binoculars until it vanished over the horizon. By the time it disappeared, the STARS mosaic radar showed it to be 40-nm from Price, UT. I can't believe that it made it over WY, CO, and into UT while still being visible.
CO777ER (Database Editor & Founding Member) 24 Jan 15, 17:02Post
vikkyvik wrote:Well this was interesting.

So a normal 20 minutes of watching traffic fly over work on final approach to SNA goes something like this:

AA 738
WN 73G
AA 738
UA 319
DL 738
AA 738
Oooo, WN new colors....oh wait, I hate WN's new colors
AA 738
UA.....is it a 752??!! Nope, just a 738
WN 73G
AA 738
etc, etc, rinse, repeat....

So anyway, I was leaving work tonight, well after sunset. Turn out of the parking lot, down the street, stop at a stop sign. As I glance to my right, I see lights in the sky. They seem...odd. So anyway, my turn, so I turn right. There are some lights heading right over me that are either way lower or way larger than the typical traffic. I nearly strain a back muscle looking out the windshield and then up through the sunroof as it flies directly over. And yep, that's not a normal SNA aircraft - that's a C-17.

Like the 787, they never quite look that large until they fly right over your head.

A C-17 at SNA? Whaaa?? Growing up in that part of the world, the largest bird was a Fedex A300.

I can relate to the monotony. However, it got to the point of CO735 or CO737, Reno Air, Southwest, another AA 752 (that was about all they flew in there), oh look Aloha, another AA 752...
vikkyvik 24 Jan 15, 21:51Post
CO777ER wrote:A C-17 at SNA? Whaaa??

That was exactly my reaction. Almost crashed the car.

Now granted it was dark, so tough to tell. But I'm pretty sure....

There was one aircraft that approached SNA on FlightRadar around that time, listed as "Blocked". Could have been that...?
airtrainer 25 Jan 15, 06:44Post
OS66 ORD-VIE with fellow members Florian and Iampepa just flew over the house. They ignored me {grumpy}
New airlines, new routes, new countries... back in the air
helvknight (Founding Member) 25 Jan 15, 17:16Post
On site in Chile and there is a procession.

LAN A320 -CJC-SCL
Sky Airline A320 CJC-SCL
LAN A320 CJC - SCL
Sky Airline A320 CJC-SCL
Hire Engineers to drive the vision and execute a plan. Hire MBAs to shuffle the papers and work in sales. Hire Accountants to manage your staff working a viable livable wage, and never have either an Accountant or an MBA run your company. - Steve Jobs
helvknight (Founding Member) 25 Jan 15, 17:17Post
airtrainer wrote:OS66 ORD-VIE with fellow members Florian and Iampepa just flew over the house. They ignored me {grumpy}

How many fingers did you want?
Hire Engineers to drive the vision and execute a plan. Hire MBAs to shuffle the papers and work in sales. Hire Accountants to manage your staff working a viable livable wage, and never have either an Accountant or an MBA run your company. - Steve Jobs
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 25 Jan 15, 23:46Post
The daily Yangtze River Express 744F from ORD will pass over shortly on its way back to China via HHN. The skies are so quiet at this time on a Sunday that you can always clearly hear it.
A million great ideas...
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 01 Feb 15, 15:47Post
All of the West-East cargo birds seem to be passing over at the moment, and at a fair pace. There are some fierce NNW winds up around FL370 that an Air Bridge 748F and an LH Cargo 777F are using to get up around 520kts. Clear skies too, so we can actually see th traffic passing over for a change :)
A million great ideas...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 10 Feb 15, 11:09Post
Finnair OH-LXD headed to Rovaniemi. Look down, see it on FR24. Look up, see it for real. I get way too much of a kick out of that.