You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Personal Air Purifier use on board

All about Airlines and Airliners.

PA110 (Founding Member) 24 Jun 09, 18:19Post
There are a number of mini ionizer type personal air purifiers that are now being marketed to help purify the air inside aircraft cabins. They are little battery driven devices that are meant to be hung around the neck and purify/ionize the air you're breathing. Whether or not these devises actually work is not the question.

It seems the airline industry is divided as to allowing their use on board.

No apparent policy: UA / AA / DL
Specifically prohibits: CO / AS / NW

Does anyone know the reason why certain airlines have chosen not to allow them? It sort of defeats one of the primary purposes for getting one of these things, doesn't it?

(Just FYI... this is a question that came from one of my clients - I wasn't even aware of these, and am a bit skeptical on their effectiveness)
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.
Airfoilsguy (Founding Member) 24 Jun 09, 18:24Post
My guess is its easier just to ban the device as opposed to run tests on it or risk liability if in the remote chance the thing malfunctions and causes a fire.
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 24 Jun 09, 18:25Post
I think I remember seeing a piece on one of the tabloid journalism shows about those devices shorting out and the batteries catching fire. Sorry, I don't have a link, nor do I remember which show it was on.
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
ANCFlyer (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Jun 09, 18:26Post
Isn't cabin air usually changed, and filtered, about every 2-3 minutes?

Other than the idiot that sneezed on me at DCA several years ago, and the fact that I maintain my health, I can't see a need for a personal ionizer on board. You're stacked into a moving cigar tube 36K feet above the planet. If you're prone to illness, you'll get ill. If you're not, and you try to keep your health, you won't.

And like you say PA110, how much 'protection' will they offer? Really.

Waste of $$$ IMO.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!!
Queso (netAirspace ATC Tower Chief & Founding Member) 24 Jun 09, 18:35Post
Here we go:

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?Cont ... 8d564e8c7f

Personal Air Purifier Fire Forces Continental Landing

Mon, 18 Dec '06
Don't Let This Happen To You

A passenger wearing a personal air purifier around his neck got more than fresh air when the device malfunctioned, and caught fire about an hour into a flight from Houston to Portland, OR.

According to Continental Airlines spokeswoman Julie King, the incident occurred Friday on Flight 1065, which left Houston at 3:48 pm heading to Portland. The plane was diverted to Colorado Springs.

King added several seat cushions caught fire, and were immediately extinguished by flight attendants. In addition to the man wearing the Fresh Air Buddy, six other passengers sought medical treatment for minor injuries.

"Many people who are sensitive to air impurities or have severe allergies wear the devices when they travel," King said.

The Fresh Air Buddy is a battery-powered device worn around the neck. The company states the device filters air near the person wearing it.

The Boeing 737 jet carried 154 passengers and six crew members. After a delay of several hours, passengers were put on another plane that left Colorado Springs around midnight, and arrived in Portland around 1:30 am PST Saturday morning.
Slider... <sniff, sniff>... you stink.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 24 Jun 09, 18:45Post
How similar are these things to personal oxygen generators?
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 24 Jun 09, 19:56Post
Hmm, purified air by blow-by. Not the best route of delivery. You'll get the crap stuff, too.