You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

The Never Ending BER Thread

All about Airlines and Airliners.

HT-ETNW 15 Dec 17, 16:36Post
Tagesschau quotes BER's CEO Rainer Bretschneider with "BER will open in October 2020".
That's almost 3 more years to go.

http://www.tagesschau.de/eilmeldung/eil ... -3275.html
Use your time wisely; remember that today is the first day of the rest of your life.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 15 Dec 17, 17:05Post
Well...

Zak on 22 Nov 2017 wrote:In 3 weeks, the current BER director plans to announce the exact 2018 opening date.

Rumour has it, that 2018 date will be "around 2021".

Sounds like the rumours were correct then. Or would anybody here bet money on October 2020 really being the final opening date?
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 20 Dec 17, 14:22Post
The director of the company that operates Berlin's airports, Lütke Daldrup, has come up with a bold idea: opening a sort of BER Lite. It would be a patchwork airport, using just the two side wings as a workaround solution.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/ger ... 82376.html

It'd only need extra an extra building costing 100 mega€*... and open in 2020... maybe...

BER Lite? I can think of a more appropriate word that rhymes with lite, and it's not "flight".

* Bribes not included
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 16 Mar 18, 00:17Post
News from BER:

A few flight screens around the airport need to be exchanged. 750 of them, to be precise.

Another outrageous planning mishap? No. They've simply been running for 6 years straight, and reached the end of their life cycle. Replacing them will cost €500k.

In other news, the grand opening has meanwhile been postponed to "around 2020", though that date looks a bit ambitious according to several experts.

The BER operators thus consider opening the airport without actually using the main terminal building, that is home to most of the problems. Details on how that is supposed to work are yet to be published.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 16 Mar 18, 09:16Post
Whats the state of the interior; did food and shopping concessions start installing anticipating one of the previous dates? And if so, are they now also claiming against BER for lost revenue and potential contract agreement breaches on BER's part?
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 16 Mar 18, 10:39Post
Zak wrote:The BER operators thus consider opening the airport without actually using the main terminal building, that is home to most of the problems. Details on how that is supposed to work are yet to be published.

I've said this before, I'll say it again:

You've got motorway to the west and south IIRC, you've got the railway line (complete with ghost trains) running under the apron and out that side, so you level everything west of the apron (not like anyone's using that control tower anyway...), dig a hole down to the train, and build a new terminal across the ramp. This has the added bonus that you can sit at your gate in Terminal 2 and point and jeer at the still-ten-years-from-opening fustercluck that is Terminal 1.

I bet you could Ctrl+A Ctrl+C Ctrl+V LHR T5, complete with railway station and road links, into place faster than you could get the existing mess opened.
Click Click D'oh (Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 16 Mar 18, 12:27Post
The flight information screens have been running for six years and need to be replaced? Why were they running?
We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Mar 18, 12:39Post
Click Click D'oh wrote:The flight information screens have been running for six years and need to be replaced? Why were they running?

Because it wasn't certain they could ever be restarted if they were fully shut down. I kid you not, there was mention of it in one of the many articles in this thread.
A million great ideas...
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 16 Mar 18, 18:44Post
Someone should just burn that place to the ground.

{mischief}

Call it a test.

Oh wait...
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 17 Mar 18, 23:20Post
GQfluffy wrote:Someone should just burn that place to the ground.

LH board member & Eurowings CEO Thorsten Dirks agrees with you:

... Thorsten Dirks has apparently lost faith in the new Berlin Brandenburg airport, calling for the airport to be "demolished and rebuilt," after losing confidence in the project which has been delayed for years.

Lufthansa says its facilities in the capital's airport are already outdated after years of delay. "It was all done for the first opening date,"said Dirks, adding, "we have to rebuild everything in Berlin."

http://newsroom.aviator.aero/eurowings- ... -torndown/

Original source (German):
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/u ... 99320.html

I'm predicting for a while already that this airport will never open.
DAL764 18 Mar 18, 08:43Post
Well, they've already pedaled back on that:

https://www.n-tv.de/wirtschaft/Lufthans ... 41673.html

Source in German, tl;dr: "Mr Dirks was obviously exaggerating to show the heap of problems, of course LH isn't in favor of a restart."

And just when you thought finally someone told the truth, someone else in management goes "that's not what the people in charge want the public to know".
"I mean, we're in a galaxy far, far away, and we still have to change in Atlanta" (Stewie Griffin as Darth Vader)
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 15 May 18, 23:12Post
FBB, the owners of BER, have realised that the airport will be over capacity before it opens and are planning a second terminal to be built before the first terminal opens (with an expansion plan for both terminals to commence as soon as the airport opens and to be completed around 2028-2030). When you're this deep you may as well keep paddling!

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest ... 76.article

Tomorrow marks 8 years since the original planned opening date of BER, the original 'firm' opening date of June 2nd 2011 is rapidly approaching its 7th anniversary {bored}
A million great ideas...
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 20 May 18, 11:44Post
Bad news from BER.

According to leaked classified documents, German certification agency TÜV came to the conclusion that the refurbished wiring and electrical systems do not meet operational safety standards.

The project is currently at least 11 months behind the plan to open the airport in October 2020.

And the chance that more delays will come on top of those 11 months are "at least 50%".

Source (German): http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/untern ... 08703.html
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 20 May 18, 12:37Post
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 21 May 18, 17:26Post
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 21 May 18, 17:52Post
Is this the wiring they ran through the water pipes, or just the regular idiocy?
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 May 18, 21:18Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:Is this the wiring they ran through the water pipes, or just the regular idiocy?

I read something on twitter that mentioned said wiring is still in the water pipes, only with an extra fuse at each end, in some places where they remembered to put an extra fuse.
A million great ideas...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 26 Oct 18, 18:11Post
Have we really gone 5 months without new BER hilarity?!
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 26 Oct 18, 18:16Post
Maybe they have silently given up... :))
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 18 Nov 18, 18:08Post
You wanted news? Here you go:

A new report suggests that BER suffers from massive wiring problems. Not just in and around the terminal building, but also along the runway.

Over 70% of all cable shafts are said to be permanently underwater. This results in a number of short circuits, power outages and lighting failures. Surveyors deem the entire electrical wiring unsafe and unstable.

BER management is yet to respond how that may affect the planned opening in 2200 2020. {boxed}
airtrainer 18 Nov 18, 18:11Post
Zak wrote:You wanted news? Here you go:

A new report suggests that BER suffers from massive wiring problems. Not just in and around the terminal building, but also along the runway.

Over 70% of all cable shafts are said to be permanently underwater. This results in a number of short circuits, power outages and lighting failures. Surveyors deem the entire electrical wiring unsafe and unstable.

BER management is yet to respond how that may affect the planned opening in 2200 2020. {boxed}

Aren't they supposed to use the same runway ? {boxed}
Grounded...
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 18 Nov 18, 19:25Post
Pffft. They ran electrical cables through water pipes in the terminal, and now it's a problem?
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 18 Nov 18, 22:39Post
airtrainer wrote:Aren't they supposed to use the same runway ? {boxed}

I'm guessing it's the wiring for the various control systems leading to the new facillity - taxiway lighting, weather sensors etc. Though this is BER, they may well have made a mess of SXF too.

One thing I recall about Berlin is how cold it can get in winter. Wiring in water-filled shafts is bad enough but ice will just tear it apart, and who fancies digging into that mess?
A million great ideas...
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 19 Nov 18, 04:47Post
The gift that keeps on giving. May as well bring up to code and reopen Tempelhof...would be easier.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 10 Mar 19, 12:54Post
News from BER. Bet you didn't see this one coming:

The 2020 opening may have to be postponed. There are problems with the fire suppression system.

Wait, didn't they want to fix these problems?

"Over the last months, the list of problems got longer and longer", a project official said.

https://m.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/proble ... 3Dfefe.css