You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

The Never Ending BER Thread

All about Airlines and Airliners.

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 13 May 19, 16:34Post
You know what we didn't hear in quite a while?

Yup: bad news from BER.

Not exactly news this time, but pretty much a confirmation of my previous post. The external experts have leaked details from their latest report, and the list of critical problems is getting longer, not shorter. Current count is well beyond 11,000 individual items.

New on the list are nice details like the cable shafts underneath the terminal ceiling being fastened with non-fireproof plastic plugs. So if a cable would catch fire, the plugs would melt and the heavy shafts would come crashing down into the terminal hall.

The experts don't think the amount of problems can be brought under control and recommend at least a partial demolition and reconstruction of the building.

Naturally, nobody expects the airport to open in 2020 anymore. Even 2021 may be out of reach.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 15 May 19, 06:04Post
Had they (well, not "they" - someone with a clue) started work on T2 as soon as it became apparent that this thing would be beyond capacity*, it would be open by now.

*For "capacity", read "salvation".
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 15 May 19, 14:10Post
You know what I really want to see?

The books on this...thing. {mischief}
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 15 May 19, 16:13Post
That'll be more to read than all current and future volumes of 'Game of Thrones'.
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 29 Nov 19, 17:02Post
Reports that BER will finally be opening on the 31st October 2020.

https://twitter.com/berlinairport/statu ... 9083169792

Still plenty of time for it all to go wrong again!
There's the right way, the wrong way and the railway.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 30 Nov 19, 09:29Post
It was an interesting week in that respect.

First, there were rumours stemming from the environment of the technical inspectors, that an opening in 2020 is pretty much off the table.

Then BER management countered these rumours with several success stories, saying that the final opening date will be announced this week.

Then they announced October 31st. If some small problems have been fixed until then. Like the still-not-working fire suppression and smoke extraction system. Definitely maybe!

The move from TXL to BER will also not happen overnight but in several steps over a course of about 2 weeks. You could argue that's already been practiced for 10 years now. Many steps. Many, maaaaaaany steps...

My money is on: they will open parts of this clusterf*ck in late 2020 or 2021, but it will become a second CDG - an airport passengers will want to avoid like the plague. And TXL will still be open in 2021.
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 29 Apr 20, 11:43Post
Shocker: BER might open this autumn. "Nothing stands in the way" apparently.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52470012
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 29 Apr 20, 14:50Post
Yeah, don't order that champagne yet.

Yesterday: Good news from BER! All technical certification processes have been completed, the county authorities issued the technical permit for the airport to open, and from a technical point of view, nothing stands in the way of the grand opening in October 2020.

Nothing except...

Today: Bad news from BER! The airport may have to file for bankruptcy before that date. With the development costs having gone completely out of control, and the projected passenger numbers now being completely out of reach, the airport's financing is about to collapse.

Of course, that won't happen. Politicians will pump another few billion Euros of taxpayer money into an airport that nobody really needed and that they were unable to develop, before they'd admit that the whole thing was a terrible idea even before coronavirus hit.

Hip, hip...
airtrainer 22 May 20, 08:17Post
So, TXL will close next month, but still not because of BER's opening {boxed}

https://simpleflying.com/berlin-tegel-closure-june/
Grounded...
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 22 May 20, 16:25Post
My popcorn is getting stale...time to make a new batch. :))
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 22 May 20, 18:16Post
airtrainer wrote:So, TXL will close next month, but still not because of BER's opening {boxed}

https://simpleflying.com/berlin-tegel-closure-june/

To be fair, it was supposed to close 8 years ago so has done well to last this long!
A million great ideas...
Fumanchewd 22 May 20, 21:10Post
There is another acronym in aviation for BER- Beyond Economical Repair.

Coincidence?
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 28 Jul 20, 12:12Post
Another milestone to blow?

Link
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 31 Oct 20, 09:32Post
It's actually happening... the saga is ending... and just the merest issue of finally opening a huge airport in the middle of a global pandemic {boxed}

https://www.ft.com/content/731c8e44-1c3 ... 1bebfe1431
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 31 Oct 20, 13:40Post
That's paywalled, sadly.

Only 1€ for a 4-week trial, then €60.50 a month :o
mhodgson (ATC & Photo Quality Screener & Founding Member) 31 Oct 20, 14:19Post
Weird, I saw the link on Twitter and it opened up fine.

Seems it isn't all going smoothly though https://twitter.com/SpieleWERT/status/1 ... 5478532097
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 31 Oct 20, 19:08Post
Yup, it's open. 9 years behind schedule, 4 bln EUR over budget. Opening at a time when nobody really needs an airport.

And even without the pandemic, it's already clear that the airport will never operate economically viable. The airport will need 300m Euro this year, and then another half billion every year in the foreseeable future, or it will go bankrupt.
Fumanchewd 08 Nov 20, 03:25Post
I'm going to miss laughing at it to make myself feel better about my own failures. {boxed}
"Give us a kiss, big tits."
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 13 Nov 20, 21:19Post
On a more positive note, at least BER opened with a decent showing from U2 & LH :

TXL finished its life as an airport with this (clearly AF didn't get the memo):

{facepalm}
A million great ideas...