You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

Daily Incident Thread

All about Airlines and Airliners.

GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 20 Oct 11, 15:21Post
ORF is spot on; they didn't pay the $100 UM fee, and even lied to Skywest, telling them he was older than 14 (the last year kids are qualified for UM benefits IIRC). The airline is golden...his parents are idiots.
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
Allstarflyer (Database Editor & Founding Member) 20 Oct 11, 17:45Post
The parents then, if that's truly the case - then let them simmer in the stuff.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 20 Oct 11, 23:21Post
Allstarflyer wrote:The parents then, if that's truly the case - then let them simmer in the stuff.

{check}

What a stupid decision.
FlyingAce (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 Oct 11, 00:57Post
GQfluffy wrote:and even lied to Skywest, telling them he was older than 14

Don't you have to present any sort of ID, even if it's just a domestic flight?
Money can't buy happiness; but it can get you flying, which is pretty much the same.
GQfluffy (Database Editor & Founding Member) 21 Oct 11, 03:58Post
FlyingAce wrote:

Keeping in mind that I last handed out a boarding pass in July, 2007 AND that was in Billings, MT (population 100,000)....Big Sky never really had a policy...persay...regarding passengers under 18. Technically, yes, I believe they needed to have some form of ID, mostly being school IDs. Now in Montana, you can drive at 16, so kids between 15 and 18 usually had driver's licenses so the problem was moot.

Does that help? :))
Teller of no, fixer of everything, friend of the unimportant and all around good guy; the CAD Monkey
FlyingAce (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 Oct 11, 07:02Post
GQfluffy wrote:
FlyingAce wrote:

Keeping in mind that I last handed out a boarding pass in July, 2007 AND that was in Billings, MT (population 100,000)....Big Sky never really had a policy...persay...regarding passengers under 18. Technically, yes, I believe they needed to have some form of ID, mostly being school IDs. Now in Montana, you can drive at 16, so kids between 15 and 18 usually had driver's licenses so the problem was moot.

Does that help? :))

I see... :))

While my airline does have domestic flights, most of the inquiries at the call center are for int'l routes, so we advise passengers to show a passport. ;) I think for (the only) domestic flights here minors are required to show a birth certificate. It seemed odd to me that they would board a passenger, even a minor, without an ID -- not because of suspected security threats, but because tickets tend to be non-endorsable, so the gate agents may want to make sure the ticket is actually under the name of the passenger traveling...

Why all this discussion about IDs? Well, they usually carry the owner's date of birth, so the Skywest personnel would have found out the passenger's actual age ;)
Money can't buy happiness; but it can get you flying, which is pretty much the same.
helvknight (Founding Member) 21 Oct 11, 11:07Post
LH A320 en route from FRA to MAD made an emergency landing at ZRH due to "undefinable smell from galley". 85 pax and 6 crew.

Presumably a smoke issue. 3 crew taken to hospital with respiratory issues.

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/zuerich/reg ... y/22920739

Or a more dramatic version from the 20 minuten freesheet {facepalm}

http://www.20min.ch/news/kreuz_und_quer ... t-14134986

Edit - they've changed it, it originally read "The passengers from Frankfurt to Madrid narrowly escaped a disaster" {facepalm} {facepalm}
Last edited by helvknight on 21 Oct 11, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
Hire Engineers to drive the vision and execute a plan. Hire MBAs to shuffle the papers and work in sales. Hire Accountants to manage your staff working a viable livable wage, and never have either an Accountant or an MBA run your company. - Steve Jobs
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 21 Oct 11, 11:13Post
helvknight wrote:LH A320 en route from FRA to MAD made an emergency landing at ZRH due to "undefinable smell from galley". 85 pax and 6 crew.

Catering picking up road kill again?
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
helvknight (Founding Member) 21 Oct 11, 11:14Post
miamiair wrote:
helvknight wrote:LH A320 en route from FRA to MAD made an emergency landing at ZRH due to "undefinable smell from galley". 85 pax and 6 crew.

You could say that. Maybe the wurst was yet to come.
Hire Engineers to drive the vision and execute a plan. Hire MBAs to shuffle the papers and work in sales. Hire Accountants to manage your staff working a viable livable wage, and never have either an Accountant or an MBA run your company. - Steve Jobs
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 21 Oct 11, 11:21Post
helvknight wrote:
miamiair wrote:

You could say that. Maybe the wurst was yet to come.

I bet there were some sour krauts onboard!

Moving swiftly on...
A million great ideas...
helvknight (Founding Member) 21 Oct 11, 11:39Post
JLAmber wrote:
helvknight wrote:You could say that. Maybe the wurst was yet to come.

I bet there were some sour krauts onboard!

Moving swiftly on...

With your coat I hope

Zak (netAirspace FAA) 21 Oct 11, 11:58Post
JLAmber wrote:I bet there were some sour krauts onboard!

Moving swiftly on...

{laugh} You better would, or the wrath of Bavarian tapas shall befall you soon! {silly}
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 24 Oct 11, 14:16Post
Roof collapse at Faro Airport injures 5:

Authorities say a nighttime storm tore part of the roof off Faro airport in Portugal’s southern Algarve region, injuring five people and causing flight disruption.

Officials say roof panels over the check-in area of the departure terminal peeled off when the storm hit at around 5 a.m. Monday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eur ... story.html

Image source: n-tv.de / dpa
Ideology: The mistaken belief that your beliefs are neither beliefs nor mistaken.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 27 Oct 11, 09:54Post
Coming together of a Piper Seminole and a Beech Bonanza, Beech pilot sadly died:-

http://www.oregonlive.com/wilsonville/i ... dropp.html

WILSONVILLE -- The twin-engine Piper flown by a Beaverton flight instructor and a Hillsboro student dived down on the smaller aircraft, smashing it to pieces and sending its pilot crashing to his death, police said Wednesday.

Capt. Ken Summers, Yamhill County Sheriff's Office spokesman, said witnesses to Tuesday's midair collision northwest of Aurora State Airport told investigators that the larger Piper PA-44 Seminole was executing training maneuvers in the area, making a series of rapid ascents and descents shortly after 4 p.m., when it came down upon a Beech Bonanza V35 that had taken off from the Twin Oaks Airpark in Hillsboro.
A million great ideas...
helvknight (Founding Member) 30 Oct 11, 20:21Post
Lion Air 739 overshoot in Balikpapan, East Kalimantan, Indonesia. Looking at the dry weight it must have taken a bit of shifting. Is this Boeing's answer to the A388?

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/lio ... uck/473570

After the Boeing 737 900ER overshot the runway at 7:25 a.m., the four rear wheels became stuck in the overrun area. The plane, with a dry weight of around 78,000 tons, was still stuck 12 hours later.

Media {facepalm}
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 30 Oct 11, 20:47Post
helvknight wrote:Lion Air 739 overshoot in Balikpapan, East Kalimantan, Indonesia. Looking at the dry weight it must have taken a bit of shifting. Is this Boeing's answer to the A388?

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/lio ... uck/473570

After the Boeing 737 900ER overshot the runway at 7:25 a.m., the four rear wheels became stuck in the overrun area. The plane, with a dry weight of around 78,000 tons, was still stuck 12 hours later.

Media {facepalm}

It's the new White Star Line 'SS 739ER', has a problem with icebergs as well as skiddy top-surfaces ;)
A million great ideas...
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 31 Oct 11, 09:31Post
Condor 753 suffers multiple bird strike upon takeoff from Hamburg, resulting in a loss of #1 engine. Aircraft landed safely again a few minutes later. The aircraft with 254 passengers was scheduled to fly to Hurghada / Egypt.

Source: our local spotters.
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 31 Oct 11, 09:37Post
Zak wrote:Condor 753 suffers multiple bird strike upon takeoff from Hamburg, resulting in a loss of #1 engine. Aircraft landed safely again a few minutes later. The aircraft with 254 passengers was scheduled to fly to Hurghada / Egypt.

Source: our local spotters.

Any pictures?
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 31 Oct 11, 09:47Post
miamiair wrote:Any pictures?

Nope. Weather is bad here, so chances that photogs were out there are slim.

After takeoff, the aircraft circled for about half an hour, before landing again in Hamburg. A spotter who witnessed the landing said the engines did not sound unusual, and he did not note one engine being shut down, either. The report about the engine loss comes from a local media outlet that is not exactly known for too much accuracy, so it may be that they only had performance issues with the engine, and thus decided to return.

I will keep you posted as soon as a more detailed report is out.
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 03 Nov 11, 13:53Post
MAN-MUC leg of the MAN-MUC-SIN service takes an unplanned diversion across the grass at MUC:-

http://www.feuerwehrmagazin.de/nachrich ... allt-23880

Somebody got some pictures without being stopped by security ;)
A million great ideas...
Thorben 03 Nov 11, 14:00Post
JLAmber wrote:MAN-MUC leg of the MAN-MUC-SIN service takes an unplanned diversion across the grass at MUC:-

http://www.feuerwehrmagazin.de/nachrich ... allt-23880

Somebody got some pictures without being stopped by security ;)

To me it looks like taken from behind the fence.

Here are more:
http://www.merkur-online.de/lokales/flu ... rstslide=1
I demand a fifth Emirates (EK) destination in Germany: Berlin, coolest and biggest city.
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 03 Nov 11, 14:09Post
JLAmber wrote:Somebody got some pictures without being stopped by security ;)

Hey, that problem occured in your neck of the woods, not in MUC! {silly}
Zak (netAirspace FAA) 03 Nov 11, 14:16Post
AvHerald now has it as well:

A Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-300, registration 9V-SWQ performing flight SQ-327 from Manchester,EN (UK) to Munich (Germany) with 143 passengers and 15 crew, veered off runway 08R while landing in Munich at about 12:10L (11:10Z) and came to a stop with all three gear to the right off the paved surface. The passengers disembarked via mobile stairs, no injuries occurred.

Munich's southern runway is currently closed and estimated to reopen by 16:00L (15:00Z).

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=445873f3&opt=0

Looks a bit odd - did they just miss the last exit?
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 03 Nov 11, 20:22Post
I've flown WQ en-route to NZ, she operates the route in a rota with WO (which was our ride for the 2010 MUC/MAN meet)
A million great ideas...
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 04 Nov 11, 11:23Post
Qantas A380 engine issues en-route SIN-LHR, diverts to DXB. The media are making a noise about the fact that its a year to the day since the uncontained engine failure incident:-

http://pilotnewsmag.com/?p=12878
A million great ideas...