You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

So Your Flight Goes Off the Rwy...

All about Airlines and Airliners.

Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 22 Jun 22, 21:30Post
We've probably all seen the Maddog down in MiamiAir's neck of the woods. If you did not...

Now you've gone off the runway and are sitting there. Then it gets to:

This (click link to video)

&

This (click link to video)

Some people have two roller bags. Some people have their purse. Some people have just a water bottle. Some have none.

Let's say it's not a perfect world. You're in cattle and people are lined up to exit the plane. They're grabbing bags. Your laptop bag is on your feet with your laptop in it. You could grab it and take it with you. What do you do?
airtrainer 22 Jun 22, 22:23Post
Welcome to the "my suitcase is more important than your life" era. Fortunately all people on board were able to exit on time, this was not the case a few years ago in Moscow when an Aeroflot SSJ100 crash landed after being hit by a thunderstorm. I remember reading somewhere that more people could have been saved if the first pax to evacuate didn't take time to grab their belongings... I'm not an expert but I'm surprised that in an aviation world full of procedures there's still nothing to lock the overhead bins for takeoff and landing.
Grounded...
ShyFlyer (Founding Member) 22 Jun 22, 22:26Post
I'm leaving my bags on the jet. Everything that I fly with can be replaced.

I'll be first of the jet and have unfettered access to air-side post accident selfies. {boxed}
Make Orwell fiction again.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Jun 22, 01:56Post
ShyFlyer wrote:I'm leaving my bags on the jet. Everything that I fly with can be replaced.

I'll be first of the jet and have unfettered access to air-side post accident selfies. {boxed}

I should not have laughed, but that one really got me. Had to read it twice. LOL. Still laughing as I type this.

As a practical matter, I don't think that there is anything that will ever stop people from taking their "personal size" items with them when leaving. Locking overhead bins could also have flaws. Airlines assessing penalties for taking items off during evacuation might do it, but I don't see the will there.

It's hard to convince someone to leave behind their $$$$ MacBook (sp?) when they can snag it up real fast.
Lucas (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 23 Jun 22, 02:11Post
Forgot: I hate having carry-on luggage, and typically limit it to my headphones and a small powerbrick if I can, which fit inside my jacket.
Mark 23 Jun 22, 05:21Post
I take each of my flights so seriously to the point of knowing exactly how many seatbacks are between my seat and the nearest forward and rearward exits. I count them as soon as I reach my seat.

If I'm ever in a crash, with people delaying my exit from the aircraft and attempting to impose on my right to live by trying to save their precious roller bags and strollers, you can be assured that I'll be reading them the riot act in no uncertain terms as I barrel my way over the top of them and the seatbacks.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
miamiair (netAirspace FAA) 23 Jun 22, 09:26Post
airtrainer wrote:I'm not an expert but I'm surprised that in an aviation world full of procedures there's still nothing to lock the overhead bins for takeoff and landing.

Weight??? Reliability??? Imagine you pull up to the gate, engines shut down, cabin chime goes "DING," everyone gets up to retrieve the overhead items, and it don't unlock...

Just saying...

I do travel for business with a lap top bag and a backpack, however, if there is a fire, I am out. I do have a list of all my items, just in case.

Seats do pivot forward, if the aisles are clogged, push the seatback forward, it will fold, crawl over them.

Taking bets for the cause of the runway excursion...

Corrosion on the Left Main Landing Gear Trunnion.
And let's get one thing straight. There's a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight. — E. B. Jeppesen
DXing 23 Jun 22, 12:53Post
Mark wrote:I take each of my flights so seriously to the point of knowing exactly how many seatbacks are between my seat and the nearest forward and rearward exits. I count them as soon as I reach my seat.

If the fuselage breaks or twists and seats are upended or moved due to that, what does that do to your count? I've always said the safety brief should include "move to the nearest exit, or big hole in the fuselage, if there is no fire or obstruction exit the aircraft as quickly and safely as possible"

miamiair wrote:
Taking bets for the cause of the runway excursion...

Corrosion on the Left Main Landing Gear Trunnion.

The video purports to show the short final, gear looks fine there. There was a video elsewhere from a security camera that showed the plane passing left to right on the ground. Both MLG were intact but it was obvious that the left side was smoking and there were flames appearing on the wheels. That's what leads me to believe that the anti-skid failed, the pilot hit the brakes a bit hard and locked at least the left side up, tires burst, started dragging, caught fire, the rims dug into the pavement causing excessive drag on the left side leading to the spin we see in the OP's video, which leads to the gear collapse.

What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
Mark 23 Jun 22, 13:21Post
DXing wrote:
Mark wrote:I take each of my flights so seriously to the point of knowing exactly how many seatbacks are between my seat and the nearest forward and rearward exits. I count them as soon as I reach my seat.

If the fuselage breaks or twists and seats are upended or moved due to that, what does that do to your count? I've always said the safety brief should include "move to the nearest exit, or big hole in the fuselage, if there is no fire or obstruction exit the aircraft as quickly and safely as possible"

Umm, yeah. The big hole in the fuselage as an exit point is an obvious duh.
Commercial aircraft flown in: B712 B722 B732 B734 B737 B738 B741 B742 B744 B752 B753 B762 B772 A310 A318 A319 A320 A321 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83 A223 CR2 CR7 E175
ShanwickOceanic (netAirspace FAA) 23 Jun 22, 14:58Post
Lucas wrote:Airlines assessing penalties for taking items off during evacuation might do it, but I don't see the will there.

I'd like to see that backed up by law, with jail time, especially when people die in the wreckage. But in the real world, defence counsel argues that their client was so stressed and panicked that they did what they always do when getting off the plane (namely, being an entitled selfish dickweasel), and nothing sticks.

Even if you develop a zero-weight, 100% reliable way to lock the bins, and people won't take the hint. They'll just stand there yanking on the handle and still holding everyone up.
My friend and I applied for airline jobs in Australia, but they didn't Qantas.
DXing 23 Jun 22, 16:10Post
ShanwickOceanic wrote:
Even if you develop a zero-weight, 100% reliable way to lock the bins, and people won't take the hint. They'll just stand there yanking on the handle and still holding everyone up.

{laugh} {laugh} The proof of that is the idiot that rams the rollerboard into the bin over and over again thinking (evidently) if I just do it one more time it will fit!!
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 27 Jun 22, 19:24Post
There's nothing in those bags worth burning for. Unless you're the last one out and you're really confident you can make it, make like a tree and get ready to fill in the insurance forms.
A million great ideas...
halls120 (Plank Owner) 10 Aug 22, 17:53Post
JLAmber wrote:There's nothing in those bags worth burning for. Unless you're the last one out and you're really confident you can make it, make like a tree and get ready to fill in the insurance forms.

Our most recent flight was FRA-JFK-SEA. The only carry on I had was a small backpack, and if we had to execute an emergency egress, that backpack was damn sure coming with me. Know why? Because the only thing in that backpack were all of the critical documents in our lives - marriage license, DD-214, SS paperwork, birth certificates, passports, retirement paperwork, HHG inventory, financial paperwork, jewelry, backup HDD for my Mac, etc. Items that insurance CAN'T replace, that we were advised to NOT place in our HHG shipment from Germany.

Do people take too much crap off the plane in situations like this? Sure. No way I'm worrying about my clothes in a situation like this, but don't be so quick to judge everyone with such a broad brush.
At home in the PNW and loving it