You are at netAirspace : Forum : Air and Space Forums : Civil Aviation

A350 Single Pilot Cargo Operation

All about Airlines and Airliners.

DXing 06 Dec 21, 02:33Post
Lots of great pictures in the story but the bottom line is, has the technology finally arrived at a point where one pilot could watch over the entire operation, at least during the cruise portion of the flight? On a cargo plane, where only the two crew members are on board and the cockpit door could remain unsecured, I could see the feasibility, but a passenger flight? There would have to be an intermediate door then crew accommodations, then the hard door before the cabin to have any chance of acceptance. Anyway, good read and look.

https://www.businessinsider.in/thelife/news/your-packages-may-soon-by-flown-on-a-massive-jet-with-only-one-pilot-and-itaposs-only-a-matter-of-time-before-you-could-be-too/slidelist/88108281.cms
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
paul mcallister 06 Dec 21, 11:52Post
For my two pence worth, I think any commercial flight should have two pilots.
Someone could take ill, or heaven forbid, you get some suicidal pilot on board, as has tragically happened before.

I wonder when we shall see commercial aircraft controlled from the ground, like we do with UAV`s?
DXing 06 Dec 21, 13:06Post
Or a system such as the new "safe return" landing system in Cirrus Vision Jet? That could be activated by a flight attendant so sadly no more Karen Black screaming about "THE MOUNTAINS!!! :))

https://www.wired.com/story/cirrus-garmin-vision-jet-autoland-safe-return/#:~:text=Cirrus%E2%80%99%20Private%20Jet%20Can%20Now%20Land%20Itself%2C%20No,the%20plane%20to%20safety%20if%20the%20pilot%27s%20incapacitated.

BTW, if I had the money that's the single pilot jet I would get. One cool looing bird. Saw one at KCGF about a year ago and was really impressed.
What's the point of an open door policy if inside the open door sits a closed mind?
Braniff747SP 10 Dec 21, 17:21Post
I'm all for automation and no fan of labor unions, but, this seems like a bad idea. Just because you can doesn't mean you should, etc.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!
halls120 (Plank Owner) 12 Dec 21, 13:17Post
Braniff747SP wrote:I'm all for automation and no fan of labor unions, but, this seems like a bad idea. Just because you can doesn't mean you should, etc.

Maybe sometime in the future this will be possible. Not a good idea at this point.
At home in the PNW and loving it
JLAmber (netAirspace ATC & Founding Member) 16 Dec 21, 21:10Post
Airbus has touted this for years as an 'in' to attract new customers/existing customers to new aircraft and the feeling always was that they were semi-serious but ultimately would guide airlines away from pushing the idea to anywhere near fruition. I suspect as technology progresses single pilot ops will edge ever closer to reality but is, at least for now, the self-parking cars of airline gimmicks.
A million great ideas...